What gender are these chickens?

Rachelphoenix

In the Brooder
May 3, 2021
A friend of a friend is trying to rehome these young chickens with me. I cannot take a rooster. These are the best photos I can get. Can you help tell me their genders?
1000004234.jpg
1000004236.jpg
1000004235.jpg
1000004233.jpg

At 8 weeks - though I am hesitant, I would suggest is COULD be possible for the chick who is barred to be some sort of EE 'gem' or olive egger- where they are crossed with a PR & a leghorn, giving BIG comb at that age- and not being able to count on the coloring.. 🫤 It isn't uniform and is clearly more defined at the collar- making it more likely this could be a pullet.

There isn't color on the tips of the comb. Just development. The light thru the comb makes it look redder but- the close picture- it doesn't show red. 😒

I'm not sold that's a cockerel.

The EE on the other side - however- 100% a cockerel. 😆 That's a red plump comb. The color in the wing popping thru. Bet you'll find spiky feathering.

He's a handsome guy.

4CFC5FDC-47E9-4796-9BC7-1AE7FED1A3E2.jpeg

Pullet- a red brown egg layer
A8D337B6-EA10-4446-AB15-49734DEBBC85.jpeg

If there were more than one red one- they'd be pullets too- but I think it's just the one- but just in case it's two. 😆

If I were you, I'd look for cockerel feathering on the black and white chicken- starting about two finger width's down from it's back- down- and see if you see any spikes hiding in that feathering. 😏 (So YOU Rule that tell out!)

Some breeders and companies come up with crosses which really throw off mixed signals. 🫤

Just like in the red, you can see a fair amount of comb and no color at the tip of the comb- the barred one has this.

Also- IMHO- some breeds just go through a real raptor looking phase 🤣

Maran are especially hardcore about it- and (throws my hands up) Wyandottes! Pshhhh- pretty birds- but I just can't. 🤣 lol

Hopefully there isn't a rush. I'd bet they'll let you know by Christmas. 😏

Back
Top Bottom