What gender are we -- 8 week old EE

SJensen

Songster
14 Years
Jul 29, 2009
South Surrey
Hello,

Two chicks hatched at the end of June -- the one with green legs -- pictured first -- still has a small pale comb. The one with the yellow legs has had a reddish comb for a couple weeks, but it looks the same to me as the one with green legs.

Any chance the one with yellow legs is a pullet?

Wow--I'm so on the fence with this one! The amount of color in the comb and the reddish coloring coming in tells me male, but the leg thickness and just overall look of the bird tells me female. Can you post again in 3 weeks or so?

I say both pullets...I was looking at the pics for a good 5 min. and going back and forth on the on with the green legs...but if it were a rooster it would have a big bright red comb by now and should be crowing...I know my ee roosters combs were big and bright red by 5 weeks old and they crowed at 6 weeks.

I say both pullets...I was looking at the pics for a good 5 min. and going back and forth on the on with the green legs...but if it were a rooster it would have a big bright red comb by now and should be crowing...I know my ee roosters combs were big and bright red by 5 weeks old and they crowed at 6 weeks.
this is not true for every chicken

Thank you for your replies -- it seems the jury's still out... Here are a couple more pics -- still at 8.5 weeks.

The one with the yellow legs has had a reddish comb for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom