What Gender Is My Chick?

3Dchicken

Songster
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
The chick is one or two days away from being three weeks old, and I am still uncertain of the gender. I am guessing it's a she. Here are some pictures from different times in age.

A picture of the chick's feet taken today.^^

Head. Taken today.^^

Dust bathing picture (without dust.) Taken today.^^

Taken today.^^

Taken today. Can you see the comb good?^^

I'm guessing this was at one week old. Maybe two...? (cute!) ^^

This was at two days old for sure. ^^

The day after hatching. ^^

If I need to take more pictures, just ask! I want to know what gender this chickie is!!! :DD
D.gif

The chick crowing, or just being weird?

Another video!:

So what do ya think?

Really too early to tell. The secondary sex characteristics start showing up in the four to six week old range.
Having said that, the comb is awful prominant in pic #5, but that could just be that it's a single comb.

Oh, I forgot- The chick is half white leghorn half production red. Not the way to make a red sex link (where the father is the rhode island red, and the mother is the white leghorn) but the other way around, and the rhode island red isn't a pure one, but a production red. I hopes that help with judging the comb size and tail feathers... :D

Really too early to tell. The secondary sex characteristics start showing up in the four to six week old range.
Having said that, the comb is awful prominant in pic #5, but that could just be that it's a single comb.
Yes, and 'cause the chick is part white leghorn. I am hoping the chick is a girl!
fl.gif

feather sexing can only be done on certain breeds that have the fast feathering gene and can only be done in the first day or 2 of hatching

feather sexing can only be done on certain breeds that have the fast feathering gene and can only be done in the first day or 2 of hatching
The picture of the feathers was taken when the chick was two days old:

Back
Top Bottom