What gender is this?

lpiper

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
San Rafael, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Black Astralorps 7 1/2 wks old. Harder to tell with this breed due to the upright pointy tail. But no comb at all while a bantam has a pronounced comb and is surely a rooster--too bad. Thanks for your help!

welcome-byc.gif
I see no indications of a cockerel.

This chicken came from a RIR pullet bin at a small local feed store.. LOL
lol.png
What is it? She is the boss of the coup.

10 Weeks old today.

Want to id the genders so I can bring up my pullet count to 8 if I have roos. Two RIR's. Are these hens?

RIR #1 10 weeks old today

RIR #2

Aren't my chickens pretty?
If all my chicky's aren't hens I am going back for more ASAP. Want fresh eggs.

This chicken came from a RIR pullet bin at a small local feed store.. LOL
lol.png
What is it? She is the boss of the coup.

10 Weeks old today.

EE cockerel? Not sure.

Want to id the genders so I can bring up my pullet count to 8 if I have roos. Two RIR's. Are these hens?

RIR #1 10 weeks old today

RIR #2

Aren't my chickens pretty?
If all my chicky's aren't hens I am going back for more ASAP. Want fresh eggs.
RIR - both look like girls

And yes very pretty chickens you have.
smile.png

It looks like a red sex link. If they were in the pullet box then it's a hen.(The red, Brown, and white one)

Last edited:
EE cockerel? Not sure.

RIR - both look like girls

And yes very pretty chickens you have.
smile.png
Thanks much!!

My daughter is really attached to that 'possible EE cockerel' named "Elfie" so that one is staying but if any more cockerels show up,they gotta go. The feed store that sold the RIR's also had 'Americaunas' so Elfie could have somehow transferred to the RIR bin. All 3 biddies looked about the same when 4 days old, Elfie was just a little more yellow. I wasn't sure about that biddie but DD picked it out and was determined to have it.
wink.png

We also have 5 amber link layers from TSC. One is a little larger & challenges Elfie so I am worried about it, but all the amber links look about the same to my untrained eyes.

It looks like a red sex link. If they were in the pullet box then it's a hen.(The red, Brown, and white one)
They said 90% pullets. Just wanted to verify. That 'different' looking chicken 'Elfie' is very assertive. I suspect it is not a hen mostly because of it's behavior but since Elfie appears to be a different breed, the personality could come from that. I am new at this.

Hello, I'm thinking this girl is a female EE but I'm not sure because I've heard black and white EEs are male. Anyone have any idea what breed and gender this chickies is? She/he is around 5 weeks I think.

Back
Top Bottom