What gender is this?

Thank you for the welcome and the response! I'm happy if my 4 big birds are hens as I wanted to end up with 4. My 2 bantams are definitely roos which is too bad given I have a 6-year old boy I wanted to keep a small bird for. But, the Mille de Fleurs have been more skittish than the large birds I have so I'm OK with losing them. My feed store said they would take back roosters. My coop is only large enough for 4 large birds max.

I'm really enjoying my Buff Orphington, Speckled Sussex, Black Astralorps and Ameracauna. Here are some photos. Yes, 3 of them are on my lap at once and only 7 weeks old. Sweet birds.

lpiper - Sorry for horning in on your thread. I am new here also. I want at least 8 hens for my family's eggs. Not too picky about what breed as long as they are good layers. Will experiment with different ones. Now I have two RIR, 5 amber links and one imperious rogue bird
smile.png
of questionable gender and breed.

The one in the tree is an Ameracauna so I guess that's the same as an Easter Egger since there will be blue-green eggs. So you think it's a he?

The one with a little white on my lap with the other two is a Speckled Sussex. That's the one I'm thinking could be a he with the slightly larger comb. See pic here where he/she is on the right:

I have two silkies that I'm not sure of the gender. I am new to raising chickens! :)

Sorry the other one in question is the brown one, not the white ones lol

Last edited:
If it helps, I have three RSL and they run the chicken coop, haha. I also have 2 leghorns and a RIR. The 3 RSL are bigger even though I got them all at the same time.

You have some pretty birds! The only one that I think looks roostery is the speckled susses. The other three look like pullets. I'm new at raising my own birds, but I grew up with chickens of all ages.

The one in the tree is not an Ameraucana - sellers and companies often confuse buyers by calling Ameraucana mixes "Americana". The mixes lay very cool rainbow eggs, and I can't wait for mine to start. The bird in my profile is an Easter Egger. They come in ALL patterns and colors. One of mine even looks JUST LIKE a little blue splash marans.

The one in the tree is an Ameracauna so I guess that's the same as an Easter Egger since there will be blue-green eggs. So you think it's a he?

The one with a little white on my lap with the other two is a Speckled Sussex. That's the one I'm thinking could be a he with the slightly larger comb. See pic here where he/she is on the right:

Back
Top Bottom