What got in my coop

Update: I opened the run because we got new chickens and I'm wondering if I closed it for a month will the raccoon come back aslo we got 3 rooster on duty in the coop

Are the roosters aggressive towards animals? They will rarely hold their own against a raccoon, they often only sound as an alarm, then are off and running. The thing I don't understand, and I may just be missing something, is why you would even want to open up the hole again. Why not just patch it up and have the problem fixed? If the raccoon has found a food source, it will be back.

Update the raccoon got back in the coop and I found my rooster with wounds should I worry about the wounds? Will they get an infection?

Well their blood on the wall in the chicken coop not signs of wounds on my chicken only the one when the rooster fight

Let's first focus on getting the fence fixed. Then you can deal with your roosters. From previous posts it seems as if you're father decided to kill the roosters as they were crowing. So perhaps it is time to find your excess chickens a new home or butcher them if there are no other options. As for the raccoon, I'd work on keeping your chickens fenced in properly, I would add some nite eyes to keep away predators as well as a motion activated sprinkler that comes on at night. If possible, electric fencing is a good idea, but it's a bit costly and can be tricky to install around a coop. You can also try other repellents, but I've found sprinklers and nite guard eyes work by far the best, or at least for me. If you need to sell or give away chickens, consider posting on some of the forums dedicated to these matters. I wish you the best of luck with your predator problems.

Okay, so the raccoon isn't back. Please tell me it's because you fixed your fencing? If not, you seriously need to take this advice and SECURE YOUR CHICKENS. I don't want to sound mean or repetitive, but you haven't answered whether or not you blocked off the coop yet. Please do not endanger your chickens. Simply standing around talking on BYC is not helpful unless you take some initiative and use the advice you are getting to its fullest. I am becoming a little frustrated at your lack of action. I have no idea why the raccoon didn't come back if I don't know what you are doing to prevent it. I don't mean to come across as rude at all, but please, act now before a predator decides to attack your chickens. Do what you have to do. Secure your animals and do what it takes to keep them safe or stop keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom