What got my chicken?

Gary Willson

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
I lost my first chicken last night. She didn't come back to the coop, and there's not a trace of her anywhere. In my area, possibilities are: coyotes, foxes, raccoons, dogs, and hawks. I'm guessing a hawk. Wouldn't a ground based predator leave feathers around from the kill? A hawk would just swoop down and carry her away.

When I have chickens killed by hawks they generally eat them on the ground or carry them a short distance and eat them. I have ALWAYS found the body. Raccoons, dogs, and hawks would all leave a trace IMO. If in fact she's been killed, I figure it's more likely a fox or a coyote. You sure she's not sitting on eggs somewhere?

Thanks, Rowsdower, I got her egg from the nest yesterday, so she wouldn't be setting on them. (She lays green eggs so I know it's hers).

I feel like the worried father with his daughter late coming home from a date.
Daybreak is about an hour away, and I'll be out looking for her.

I hope you find her. I've had plenty of hens come strolling home when the sun comes up. How close to dark was it when you found her missing?

I did a thorough search this morning. Not a trace. I usually lock them in their coop at dusk. By then, they've made their way to the run or the coop, and I lock them in. Loretta wasn't with them yesterday.

I just wanted to add that when a hawk kills a chicken on the ground and carries it up into a tree, they do not usually go very far and you should still see feathers on the ground from the initial impact. Sometimes it will almost look like a circle of feathers where the hawk struck the bird.

Thanks, Rowsdower, I got her egg from the nest yesterday, so she wouldn't be setting on them. (She lays green eggs so I know it's hers).

I feel like the worried father with his daughter late coming home from a date.
Daybreak is about an hour away, and I'll be out looking for her.

They wouldn't have to be her eggs. If she found a nest somewhere, from one of your other hens, she might claim it as her own. Also, I once lost a bird very mysteriously, like yourself. I had searched for hours and was ready to give up. During my search, I had accumulated a few pieces of trash found in the woods and went to take them to the trash bin that I keep on my back patio. I opened the lid to the bin and there sat a very dazed hen. The lid was somewhat ill-fitting and she'd stood on the edge of it and slipped in and the lid somehow fell back into place. Chickens can get themselves stuck in weird places. I had a silkie roo get stuck in the hole in a cinder block, not once but twice (he was a dumb bird).

Sorry for being such a wimp. I know everybody here is lost some chickens before. Many years ago, I had so many chickens, I wouldn't have known if I lost one or two. But now, I only have 6 (well, 5 now) and they're all named and are pets.

Sorry for being such a wimp. I know everybody here is lost some chickens before. Many years ago, I had so many chickens, I wouldn't have known if I lost one or two. But now, I only have 6 (well, 5 now) and they're all named and are pets.

I've lost quite a few birds here and there, but I still know EXACTLY how you feel. The worrying never gets easier. I have....erm...a number of chickens (quite a few more than 6) and they all have names.

I agree with everything Rowsdower has said. Whenever I've had hawks attack they've left the body or a huge pile of feathers. IF it did get taken by a predator it was probably a coyote or a fox. However if it disappeared in the day it probably got stuck or something like that like Rowsdower said. And don't worry about worrying I have had several taken this year and it doesn't get any easier.
I hope she shows up soon.

Back
Top Bottom