What happened to my babies?

Rstine

Chirping
Jun 19, 2016
I was so excited when my turkey hen started sitting. Last week she hatched out 9 little ones. They free range on five acres here in New Mexico. We have a Great Pyrenees here that watches over her flock. Six nights after hatching we had a rainstorm. The Turks hunkered down in their patch of weeds and came through just fine. The next night we had another small shower. When I came out to check on them in the morning, their eighth day, 6 of them were dead scattered around in the weeds, one was barely alive and 2 seemed Ok. We gathered up the 3 that we're alive and took them in. 2 have since passed and the last one is hanging on. Does anyone have any insight into what could have happened? I'm becoming discouraged.

I do know that it’s real bad when poults get wet. They get chilled and that’s pretty serious in the youngsters. This especially applies to domestic turkeys. I’m not sure about wild varieties. But that would be my guess. I think getting wet is a leading cause of death in poults.

Thanks, I was afraid that it had to do with the long prayed for rain. The last chick is hanging tough and we are cautiously optimistic.

So I guess the next step is to figure out how to keep this from happening again. Do I try to chase them into the birdhouse at night, which the hen doesn't normally use, do I take the poults when they hatch, or do I just leave them to nature and hope for better than 1:9 next time.

I'd guess taking them away at hatch time. But here's so.eone who successfully hatches over a thousand poults per year @TurkeyTimes . He may have better insight. Or @casportpony theh may also be able to give you some good tips for the surviving poult. I have a few in mind but these guys are much more seasoned when it comes to turkeys than I. (no pun intended). Keep us posted. I can only shine how devastating losing almost an entire rafter of cute little poults. I wore myself put worrying about it. I'm so sorry that happened!

I'd guess taking them away at hatch time. But here's so.eone who successfully hatches over a thousand poults per year @TurkeyTimes . He may have better insight. Or @casportpony theh may also be able to give you some good tips for the surviving poult. I have a few in mind but these guys are much more seasoned when it comes to turkeys than I. (no pun intended). Keep us posted. I can only shine how devastating losing almost an entire rafter of cute little poults. I wore myself put worrying about it. I'm so sorry that happened!
Same here buddy

I would guess cause of death is wet/cold. Poults are fragile and very temperature sensitive. For the future I would pull at hatch and use a brooder. Turkeys can be pretty bad mothers. For highest success, do the brooding.

I've never raised turkeys, but they don't have a great reputation from stories I e seen. Have you considered building run in shelters in their area. Can be as simple as two pallets standing on end with a piece of metal roof across the top. It gives some shady spots, a place to get out of rain, and a place to get out of sight of aerial predators.

Back
Top Bottom