What hatchery allows small orders?

idealpoultry allows for small orders. There is just a $25 minimum. They are located on the Texas Louisiana border. Sometimes they put extra chicks in there to keep warm. I opted out of that and insured my 4 chicks. The cost of the insurance was $1.20. I'd just check the weather temps and get a few supplies to get the order to $25.

gig.gif

Only if Cameron, TX has moved.. lol.. try Central Texas (South of Waco and North East of Austin)

It's MUCH, MUCH cheaper and easier on the chicks to buy locally for small quantities. Check your local BYC board and Craigslist as well as area feed stores (call around -- the co-op here is better than TSC if you want breeds rather than sex links, for example).

The chick shipping minimums are for the chicks' health and well-being. Small numbers can't help each other stay warm nearly as well as large numbers. And when you add in the unpredictable temps of February and unheated trucks...

I agree 100% with debid. I received 15 chicks last week from Meyer and 6 died from the cold. Some people who responded to my thread recommended Cackle Hatchery, but I think they have a 15 chick minimum until April as well. I'd check craigslist, your local feed store, or TSC for chicks. After my experience I'll think twice about mail ordering chicks at all, will definitely get them locally if at all possible.

I agree 100% with debid.  I received 15 chicks last week from Meyer and 6 died from the cold.  Some people who responded to my thread recommended Cackle Hatchery, but I think they have a 15 chick minimum until April as well.  I'd check craigslist, your local feed store, or TSC for chicks.  After my experience I'll think twice about mail ordering chicks at all, will definitely get them locally if at all possible.

There are also ways to get a full box of 25 and minimize the risk even if you wanted 4. Order cooperatively with others in your area or (if brooder space allows) just go ahead and buy extra pullets to re-sell. Odds are you can get 25 for what it would cost with shipping and handling to get 8.

My aunt ordered her birds from Chickens for Backyards, and I was very impressed with their quality! They're huge, robust, with good feathering. Her GLW has awesome lacing for a hatchery bird (much better than the GLW icon on their website). I got my first batch of chickens from My Pet Chicken, and they matured fairly small and a few have had egg-laying problems (my andalusion stopped almost completely after she turned a year old).

Back
Top Bottom