What hatchery is the best?

Well, vent sexing day old ducklings isn't like sexing chicks. Any hatchery selling sexed ducklings should have a 100% accuracy. I don't think Al's sexes day olds and only sells sexed juveniles. If you want ducklings you'll have to look elsewhere. However if you are in or near southern Maine at least they are a local pickup.

Three years ago I got a shipment of assorted female ducklings from Metzer. All arrived alive and healthy and did well. If you are at all interested in showing check out Holderread.

Well I really did want a hatchery close by because the less time they will have to travel. I just don't know any in my area that sexes. Al's isn't too far about four hours but was hoping for something closers if I was going to go there. I have two Pekin drakes just recently got a blue and black swedish from someone selling but they didn't sex so I just did my best and I think I got one boy and one girl so trying to order more that are female so the one female is not outnumbered. Lol.

We have a place called Al's Quackery but I want a well known one with a good reputation. I don't know much about Al's Quackery.

You live that close?? Lucky you!!!

Al's Quakery is Alison, one of our members here on BYC, goes by @learycow and is not a hatchery, per se, but a very reputable breeder... honestly, if you want quality, healthy and care of birds kept at a high standard, you can't go wrong with her... I would pick her over ANY hatchery any day!

You live that close?? Lucky you!!!

Al's Quakery is Alison, one of our members here on BYC, goes by @learycow and is not a hatchery, per se, but a very reputable breeder... honestly, if you want quality, healthy and care of birds kept at a high standard, you can't go wrong with her... I would pick her over ANY hatchery any day!

Thanks for the recommendation I honestly knew very little about Al's Quackery but I liked the fact that someone had a business that was more directed at ducks because, you don't see that often. Chickens are usually a main focus. I love my chickens but my ducks are my babies.

Planning on ordering from a hatchery and from everybody's opinion which one is the best. Survival rate, most accurate sexing, healthiest birds ect.

We have ordered from MacMurray every few years for thirty years (We've bought a few locally and have let the broodies raise their own). We have never gotten a dead chick (pretty remarkable, testament both to MacMurray and to the surprising toughness of the little puffers), and they've all done well once we got them. I suspect the conscientiousness of your local post office in setting the box in a warm spot and letting you know promptly that the chicks are in has as much to do with success as anything. Our postmistress is a chicken person, so we're lucky.

In my opinion the best hatchery would be whatever one is in driving distance from where you live so you can pick them up. Many many baby chicks die due to post office causing delivery delays etc. I've talked to people that sell baby chicks by mail and sadly it happens too often that the chicks die. Even if it's only 1% of the time it's thousands of chicks that die by mail.

In my opinion the best hatchery would be whatever one is in driving distance from where you live so you can pick them up. Many many baby chicks die due to post office causing delivery delays etc. I've talked to people that sell baby chicks by mail and sadly it happens too often that the chicks die. Even if it's only 1% of the time it's thousands of chicks that die by mail.

If you can get what you want locally, I agree that is best, for a number of reasons. But a company like MacMurray's has been conscientiously getting the job done for generations, and that is worth supporting too, particularly if local resources are not adequate to your needs.

Thanks to everyone who recommended me (Al's Quackery!). I have an outstanding reputation that I try my best to keep!

I have anconas (I see those were on your list) as well as calls, muscovy, sebastopols and mini sebastopols. And silkie/sizzle/showgirls.

I do allow local (Biddeford) pick up or can ship. Here in Maine, they usually arrive early the very next morning so are in transit less than 24 hours which is awesome!

Right now I have several anconas available. A few juvenile male/female pairs, and some unsexed (these are various colors and all go outside during the day so no heat needed). I also have some unsexed newly hatched ducklings available.

For calls, I have two male/female pairs of ducklings available and some adult drakes.

I also have 3 unsexed muscovy (ripple and looney) ducklings and more due to hatch within the next week or so.

Feel free to message me if interested. And if you'd like to see more regarding my reputation and customer service, check out my facebook page. People who have bought from me in the past comment and post all the time and are always happy to chat!

Thanks to everyone who recommended me (Al's Quackery!). I have an outstanding reputation that I try my best to keep!

I have anconas (I see those were on your list) as well as calls, muscovy, sebastopols and mini sebastopols. And silkie/sizzle/showgirls.

I do allow local (Biddeford) pick up or can ship. Here in Maine, they usually arrive early the very next morning so are in transit less than 24 hours which is awesome!

Right now I have several anconas available. A few juvenile male/female pairs, and some unsexed (these are various colors and all go outside during the day so no heat needed). I also have some unsexed newly hatched ducklings available.

For calls, I have two male/female pairs of ducklings available and some adult drakes.

I also have 3 unsexed muscovy (ripple and looney) ducklings and more due to hatch within the next week or so.

Feel free to message me if interested. And if you'd like to see more regarding my reputation and customer service, check out my facebook page. People who have bought from me in the past comment and post all the time and are always happy to chat!

No, I didn't know much about you so I wanted to get an idea the best place. I did want a place close by. But I am only looking for females. I have quite a few boys just looking for females that was why I was considering the hatchery route or to find older ducks in the area. Anconas is a breed I really like and wanted to get.

Back
Top Bottom