What have I done?

dreamullany

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2016
So, we just bought our first house (in the Sierra Foothills, CA) and I wanted to get a couple chickens...9 chicks later we got home and I can't get enough. Reading about them, looking at them, creating profiles on chicken websites(!) and taking a ridiculous amount of pictures of them.

A few questions:

1. Nine chickens - any good recommendations on coops (Where to buy, type, size)? Please don't say build one, we just bought a house so we have too many projects already! We had a plan to build, but then a lot of rain let us know that we have some leaking priorities we need to focus on

2. I found a tiny cricket today and put it in the brooder - they loved it...they are about 6 days old...is that okay? Can I do it again? It was adorable! RIP cricket

3. How big and how deep should my brooder be? I don't want them to get bored (and peck each other) so I change it up and add sticks and move things around, but I'm worried it should be bigger and deeper - it's 22"x36"x12.5"(deep)

4. When do they move outside? They are in the laundry room now, which is fine, but I want them to be happy.

Thanks! I've had fun finding all of the endless branches on this site! I'm excited to become a chicken-person!

welcome-byc.gif
you can check out the Coop forum for ideas from other members, my advice is to build bigger than you think you need because chickens are addicting! Best of luck to you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Hi and welcome to BYC. The Coop section and Learning Centre should help out with your questions, or simply type the topic of interest in the search box.

Joining your state thread will put you in contact with other BYC members in your area, which can be very helpful.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom