What I’m I doing wrong when processing my meat birds?

Have you considered "volunteering" your time to her during process, to learn from what she does, how and why she does it?

That is a good idea, because understanding WHY it works can help OP design something that works equally well. I've seen cases where someone changed just a small detail--but it turned out to be important for reasons they did not understand until later.

That is a good idea, because understanding WHY it works can help OP design something that works equally well. I've seen cases where someone changed just a small detail--but it turned out to be important for reasons they did not understand until later.

As an illustration,

I work in a grocery story deli. During Covid shutdowns I got accustomed to using the salad prep station when I make party trays because the salad bar was shut down and it was more convenient to the larger sink.

Now with the salad bar reopened I have to use the small sink and the other workspace that has the trash to the left instead of the right.

I CANNOT work effectively trying to throw trash to the left. I have to get a pan for my trash and sit it on the right if I'm going to get any efficiency and rhythm going.

And I'm nearly ambidexterous -- though I do use my knife in my right hand.

<<<==== Has been known to pay extra so i can participate. Hands on Education works well for me, though I am primarily a "reader".

I Hope you dont buthcer egg laying hens because egg layers can live long and for taht to lay an eggg it pain they work so hard and lose nutrition because of it you Should keep old hens to ur flock they also make great pets older hens are more nicer and docile than younger hens they also keep the pest down and eat rats and mice a laying hen can live up to 11 to 15 years. Now I can understand if you kill Cornish cross because the have no chance even tho they suffer from it so there is no better. But laying hen a sick hen desserves to surive and tooken to vet ALSO old hens do lay egg 5 year old 8 year old lay egg but not as often there also good with protecting young hens and have more experince with a hen they also tend to go even tho there 8 years old if the do they make great mothers because they have more experience
WHAT??? If you have just a few hens you want to keep for pets, you can afford to keep them until they die at a ripe old age. I have done that on occasion. If the purpose of your flock is to produce eggs for your family, you cannot. After about three years or so, egg production declines dramatically, and at that point my old hens ended up in the crock pot. In the natural world, very few animals die in their beds of old age. Sooner or later, almost all of them end up as somebody's dinner. My hens were all well fed and well cared for (which would not be the case if they were running around in the wild) until the day they ended up as mine. You just can't beat an old fat hen for chicken and dumplings. Sorry.

Where did that "lose nutrition" nonsense come from? Laying hens are bred to produce eggs and layer feed is made to help them do it. As for taking a sick hen to the vet, first of all, most vets do not treat chickens, secondly, spending several hundred dollars to treat a four dollar chicken just isn't practical, and thirdly, chances are that whatever is wrong can't be fixed anyway.

Although my Cornish X lived a relatively short life they did not suffer. They ate, grew, and made happy chicken noises. They looked and sounded content. In other words, they had a great life except for one very bad day.

WHAT??? If you have just a few hens you want to keep for pets, you can afford to keep them until they die at a ripe old age. I have done that on occasion. If the purpose of your flock is to produce eggs for your family, you cannot. After about three years or so, egg production declines dramatically, and at that point my old hens ended up in the crock pot. In the natural world, very few animals die in their beds of old age. Sooner or later, almost all of them end up as somebody's dinner. My hens were all well fed and well cared for (which would not be the case if they were running around in the wild) until the day they ended up as mine. You just can't beat an old fat hen for chicken and dumplings. Sorry.

Where did that "lose nutrition" nonsense come from? Laying hens are bred to produce eggs and layer feed is made to help them do it. As for taking a sick hen to the vet, first of all, most vets do not treat chickens, secondly, spending several hundred dollars to treat a four dollar chicken just isn't practical, and thirdly, chances are that whatever is wrong can't be fixed anyway.

Although my Cornish X lived a relatively short life they did not suffer. They ate, grew, and made happy chicken noises. They looked and sounded content. In other words, they had a great life except for one very bad day minute.
FIFY

We use a cone that is big enough to hold the whole bird.... When the head reaches the hole at the bottom, I pull down holding my glove over the bird's head and then slice off the head in one stroke. The entire process is less than 1 second. We leave them upside down for several minutes and use another cone for the next bird. I use a big Rambo knife that has a long surface to insure it is done on one slice. It seems more humane to get it over quickly. I tried to do the bleed out thing before and it was peaceful... but then I botched a couple... took a long time with several attempts... never again. We also say a prayer before the process thanking God for our beautiful food chain... and each bird gets a short prayer from me for a swift and painless death.

I just cut the head off and drop it straight down in a 5 gallon bucket for a minute while I get my stuff ready to clean it. Never had any issues but if your doin a lot cones might be better to do multiple at a time

I put my chicken in a killing cone and tilt its head to the side and slide my knife along the jaw bone. I have never missed the jugular vein. After it stops kicking, I cut the wind pipe and pull the head off......I'd say 2 to 3 minutes

It might have already been mentioned, but I like the lopper method. Hung upside down like you mentioned, Ive never used a cone, then I use some sharp tree branch loppers. Off the head goes instantly no suffering, instant removal. Yes it squirts some but very easy and most of all, quick!

Hi everyone, Thank you for all of your observations and advise. I am still eating my own home raised chickens. So I buy the chicks, raise them to the right size for our family and schedule the processing with the breeder. She has all the tools, and preparations to do it herself and I help her getting it done. There, problem solved. If ever I have to do it myself, now I know how.

Back
Top Bottom