What I hoped would never happen has..

The dogs don't deserve a lilac bush, skunk cabbage is more like it. You should put this episode behind you - you don't see dogs, you don't hear dogs, if dogs "disappear," you surely wouldn't notice. Just sayin', you've got more important things to do. The sooner they disappear the better. Still would be nice to have a spy cam around the coop - chickens are so entertaining you just don't tire of seeing them. Electric fence would be great too, maybe with liverwurst smeared on some of the strands - do I smell singed hair, do I hear shrieks, must be some wild animal in the night. If you have the kind of electric set up NOT to pulsate, seems like the culprits would hang around as exhibit A. I am just sick and tired of hearing of all these incidents where the owner gets off scott free.

Quote:
Sounds kinda like how it is in open range country. When someone hit a cow in the road they'd owe the rancher for damages. The law would call the brand inspector out and the rancher could collect. If cows got on your property and did damages, it was the property owners responsibility since they didn't fence them out. Open range meant fencing things out as much as fencing things in.

If I were in open range country, I would understand. I don't know if any part of Texas is, but I do know that this part is not open range country. You are expected to fence your livestock in.

Quote:
Awww, I am so sorry for your loss. I live in Stark County and am hatching some new chicks if you're interested. I know it will never be your Frack, but just thought I'd offer.

hugs.gif

Carolyn

Omg.....I just came across this thread and this one got me
hit.gif
. Wow.

I'm so sorry you lost your favorite hen. My heart goes out to you.
hugs.gif

Dog owners like that shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.
somad.gif

Orpington devotee.
smile.png

This really really sucks and im so sorry for your loss. I hate people who let their dogs roam free. Its very irresponsible and inconsiderate. Ive lost hens to our neighbors cats before and i just wanted to get out me little airsoft gun and start poppin some kitty butts. Im so sorry for you and your flocks loss.
hit.gif

Awww.. thanks for the offer honeydoll. I have ordered 6 chicks to be picked up on April 11th from Meyers Hatchery (If you need any, let me know andI can pick them up for you).

I put Fracks little grave next to her favorite pine tree where they all pick around in the needles. I made a cross of pine and tied strips of pink plastic from the Purina layena crumbles on it. I thought it appropriate.

The rest of the flock always pass by it when they come out to free roam with me.
idunno.gif

Quote:
fishnet1971, I am sorry for your loss. I thought I could handle the risk of losing free range chickens to predators, but that turned out not to be the case.

You are a member of the public and a public servant has failed to perform their duty. It would be perfectly reasonable for you to go over the head of the nonperformer. Who does the animal warden report to? City? Township? County? State? Whichever governing body is relevant, they will have an executive who should be happy to hear from a member of the public about an opportunity to make a difference for a constituent.

Also, be sure to check your local laws. In many jurisdictions it is legal to shoot dogs that are running livestock. Chickens are usually considered livestock.

You might also consider reinforcing the run and coop, especially against digging. An electric fence should work.

And finally, if you choose to joke about SSS after the culprits run away from their owner, I am sure that we would all see the irony.

Back
Top Bottom