What in compost is safe?

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
So, I have a quite large yard that I allow my chickens to free-range in. Tucked into one of the corners is my relatively small compost heap, kept in place with wooden pallets. It’s about there by three feet. The chickens love it, but I just wanted to know what was safe for them.
Here are some foods that are frequently in my compost:
Orange peels
Eggshells
Carrot shavings
(Maybe) Pasta
Onion skins
(Maybe) bread
Potato shavings
An assortment of greens

And yes, there will at times be moldy food in the compost, but the chickens tend to leave it alone.

My neighbor also has chickens, but they often toss avocado skins, eggplant leaves, and uncooked beans in their compost without any thought. I’m worried about their birds, since I’m fairly sure that all of those foods are toxic to the chickens.
A: What is unsafe in *my* compost?
B: What can I do so my neighbor’s birds aren’t poisoned?

A: I put almost everything in there. My rules are minimal.....I don't fed chickens chicken, and i crush eggshells so they don't resemble an egg anymore. Never had a problem. Mine get all grass clippings, weeds, woodchips and every type of green waste as well as scraps. One of their jobs other than eggs is to make soil for my garden via compost bays. Which they are extremely effective at doing. They love doing it too.

B: There isn't much you can do other than mention it to them in a way you think appropriate. If at all. Apparently there are people who try to make their cats vegan these days as well. What can you do without becoming a Karen concern troll?
Ime chooks are very adept at knowing what is and isn't good to eat on their own. If they are free ranging in a good sized space and have constant acess to a decent layer feed then they are usually fine.
Fact is, if they are feeding these things and their chooks are doing well.... then is there really a problem? If your neighbour tells you their chooks are dying then that's an opportunity.
Sometimes it's better not to worry about a problem until you know for sure you have one,

Chickens are pretty good at not eating what they shouldn't eat. They'll likely ignore orange peels, onion skins, avocado skins, and maybe the potato. The carrots, bread, pasta, eggshells and greens they'll enjoy. If you happen to have moldy food, they'll likely ignore that, but if you're concerned just bury it in the pile a bit so they can't get to it.

For reference, I throw whole avocados, citrus, onions, and potatoes in my compost. The onions and potatoes literally sprout in the run...the chickens totally ignore them. If the citrus breaks open, then hens may peck at it a bit. Same with the avocado (the squirrels love 'em), but they ignore the peels of both.

Back
Top Bottom