What incubator to buy!

warosen

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 9, 2015
I'm thinking of hatch a few of my chickens egg,may-be 10 or 12 to start. Wondering what mitt be a good kind of incubator to buy?

I'm thinking of hatch a few of my chickens egg,may-be 10 or 12 to start. Wondering what mitt be a good kind of incubator to buy? 

:welcome

I highly suggest the Hovabators. The 1602N that PD mentioned is an older model, one of the cheaper ones, but I know many that have used them and liked them. I have the 1583 model and love it. They have smaller, mini bators, but I never recommend the little ones because hatching is addicting...

Hovabator is an excellent choice. What's to keep in mind is there are two different methods for thermostat. The older style Hovabator is a gas filled wafer and has option of fan or not; newer Genesis model Amy is talking about is preset electronic thermostat with fan included. Genesis is plug and play and older models take running for a few days to dial temp in. I've the gas wafer type with picture window and fan, picked it up off ebay for cheap. Got lucky, it was old stock new in box.

With any incubator you really want an auto turner and those are extra. For your first hatch it's not essential due to your exuberance turning eggs manually 3 or more times a day is a breeze. After a few years your manual turning excitement wanes and hatch rates suffer greatly in turn. By the third year of incubating my hatch rates were 60% or less then purchased LG auto turner on sale at TSC to toss in for one last hatch of spring for 100% success rate. Hadn't had anything above 85% turning manually prior and all my hatches have been great since.

Hovabator is an excellent choice. What's to keep in mind is there are two different methods for thermostat. The older style Hovabator is a gas filled wafer and has option of fan or not; newer Genesis model Amy is talking about is preset electronic thermostat with fan included. Genesis is plug and play and older models take running for a few days to dial temp in. I've the gas wafer type with picture window and fan, picked it up off ebay for cheap. Got lucky, it was old stock new in box. 

With any incubator you really want an auto turner and those are extra. For your first hatch it's not essential due to your exuberance turning eggs manually 3 or more times a day is a breeze. After a few years your manual turning excitement wanes and hatch rates suffer greatly in turn. By the third year of incubating my hatch rates were 60% or less then purchased LG auto turner on sale at TSC to toss in for one last hatch of spring for 100% success rate. Hadn't had anything above 85% turning manually prior and all my hatches have been great since. 

I'm heading into my 3rd year incubating. I started with the turner and pulled it out on the third hatch and switched to hand turning and have always preferred it. My hatch rates increased with every set. Even hit 100%.
My 1583 is the non digital version of the 1588, but it holds temps rock steady, and I love the picture window.
2764.png

I have 3 different incubators, one being the HovaBator Genesis 1588, one a Farm Innovations Pro Series and one a less expensive circulated air non digital one. I want a cabinet one but have to wait. By the end of this hatching season I hope to be able to afford one.

I have 3 different incubators, one being the HovaBator Genesis 1588, one a Farm Innovations Pro Series and one a less expensive circulated air non digital one.  I want a cabinet one but have to wait.  By the end of this hatching season I hope to be able to afford one.

Out of the ones you have, which is your favorite?

I wanta answer,  I wanta answer---look under my name. LOL Amy you would be dangerous with one like that----the incubator holds 288 eggs----you would be Busy candling all them every day----LOL 

Lol. I think I would quickly become less hands on and change my views about automatic turners. Oh, I know, I could candle a tray a day to get my addiction fed...lol

Back
Top Bottom