What is a comet chicken?

This is my Golden Comet "Goldie" (ok, not the most original name). She's quite a character and a master at getting humans to feed her treats:

Quote:
First they are not silver comets...Comets like all the others said are nothing more than a red sex link..pullets are the red that are pictured and the roos are white with red flecks and splashes mostly in the wing area.
Second...Sex links never breed true...you can only have the original cross be the sex link..this is most often a RIR and RIW or White Rock(with the silver gene only) but can be many many other crosses as well.If you breed sex links together you will continue to have very good layers but you will have a variety of colors and no quick way of knowing if you have a pullet or a roo.We have crossed our sex links to several other breeds for layers and have never been unhappy with the results...we raise sex links so ours are not hatchery but the hatchery birds are also real good layers.

Sorry....I meant Golden....I was in a terrible hurry and got distracted.

Lebanon, TN huh.....I'm originally from Mt Juliet.

Last edited:
howdy former neighbor..I live on the very edge of Lebanon up almost in Hartsville away from as much civilization as possible but they just keep following us out further and further.

I have 11 Golden comets aka Golden buff and I have heard them called at least 3 other names. They are our first chickens and they were recomended for that reason, they are very nice calm quiet good egg laying birds. I am very happy with ours.
58217_img_3109.jpg

Last edited:
Are these the same as "Red Stars" from McMurray? I have 2, along with 2 Black Stars, and they have more white on them than their picture in the magazine shows. They look closer in coloring to the comets.
They are the sweetest chicks! They run right over to me and I can pick them up and carry them with no fuss. I wish I got a few more when I ordered.

We bought 5 golden comet chicks from TSC. We now learned that they are practically mutt chickens.
They are probably great egg layers, but I can't show them.

Quote:
Very seldom will you get show quality birds from any hatchery(where feed store chicks come from) even if they are "pure" they seldom meet the APA Breed Standard. If you want to show decide which breed and learn the standard for it then buy the best you can buy from a breeder.Comets are not a mutt breed but a planned cross between 2 breeds.

Okay - now those are my Elmo & Zoe! Mine are from TSC - and I love love love em... they are laying like crazy! I am looking forward to getting some more next spring - now that I know that I love these babies! They are the sweetest - and they are ruled by their stomachs - so it is easy to make friends if you have treats.

I have found one of the treats they love best has been some leftover stuffing crumbs I had - the dried kind that come in the bag - love the fun of stuffing a chicken that is still walking!

Back
Top Bottom