• $3.00

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

TOP KNOT

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
SHERIDAN IL
What is a fair price for medium eggs? We keep the really small ones for ourselves and family. Free range on green pasture and layer pellets.

my hens lay large brown eggs, and i wont take less than 3 bucks a dozen. the more money i get from eggs the more i can do for my chickens.

A fair price is one that makes you a profit. Figure out how much those eggs cost you to make, then add at least a quarter per dozen on top.

Since only you know how much your eggs cost you (don't forget, it's not just feed. For example, it costs me $14 to buy a chick, have it shipped, and get it to laying age before she lays her first egg--count ALL costs), only you can price your egg.

If you let people pay less than what it costs you to produce your eggs, you're basically paying people to eat your eggs. It would be better to donate them to a food pantry instead, where at least you'd do some good and get a donation to write off your taxes.

The people I have been selling to are paying me $3 for the medium size with a few larger ones here and there. I feel like I am charging a lot for the size they are. I asked $2 when the hens first started laying ( tiny eggs) The quality stands out but I really wish the eggs were larger. I guess in time. With the prices that I have been getting it pays for chicken feed and horse grain for two horses. I like that! Thank you Krazzy and WalkingOnSunshine

Last edited:
The people I have been selling to are paying me $3 for the medium size with a few larger ones here and there. I feel like I am charging a lot for the size they are. I asked $2 when the hens first started laying ( tiny eggs) The quality stands out but I really wish the eggs were larger. I guess in time. With the prices that I have been getting it pays for chicken feed and horse grain for two horses. I like that! Thank you Krazzy and WalkingOnSunshine
If it helps you feel better, we wholesale mixed-size eggs (anywhere from medium up to off-the-scale jumbo in one carton) for $3. The store sells for $4.65.

If it helps you feel better, we wholesale mixed-size eggs (anywhere from medium up to off-the-scale jumbo in one carton) for $3. The store sells for $4.65.
A health food dog food store buys a lot from me that they re-sell (I think, it has not been discussed)...Although I don't think they are being fed to the dogs. ( well one lady does, on Sunday morning, the dogs get bacon too!) My brother has ISA Browns and the eggs are HUGE she pays him $3.75 for those. Thanks for the info!!

You also need to check on what people in your area are charging. You if charge $3 a dozen and someone down the road sells for $2, then who do you think people are going to buy from? No one in my area sells for more than $1.50 a dozen so it would be pretty stupid of me to charge $3
roll.png

You also need to check on what people in your area are charging. You if charge $3 a dozen and someone down the road sells for $2, then who do you think people are going to buy from? No one in my area sells for more than $1.50 a dozen so it would be pretty stupid of me to charge $3
roll.png
People who are charging $1.50/dozen are losing money. I can't make a dozen eggs for less than $2.30, and I don't feed organic or no-soy feed. As I said above, you're better off donating to a food pantry or reducing your flock than paying other people to eat your eggs. People around me sell for $1.50 dozen, too. Doesn't matter, I still sell every egg my hens make and my family only eats cracks and checks.

I have golden sexlinks and americaunas. I sell my extra large to Doesn't fit in a jumbo carton eggs for 2.50

roll.png
I am a ups driver, my husband has a business on my rte. I sell to people within walking distance of his work. He delivers them on Thursdays.No one in my area is less than $3 and some are $4 according to craigs list. I am being paid $3 now. I just feel weird as the eggs are not huge, but we do deliver. I have gotten a larger demand for them and ordered more chicks. I got a call last week for 6 more dozen...I only get about 8 doz a week. They are paying that price, I just am not a greedy type, although there are costs involved. I think it does depend on the area, this is a chicago suburb where I sell.

Back
Top Bottom