What is a good age...

bgelber

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Athens, al
to place my two bantam chicks outside with the flock? One is a red laced blue wyandotte age 11 weeks, the other is a OEGB age 12 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
thumbsup.gif

I put mine out at 8 weeks, but into an integration/segregation coop & temporary run WITHIN the main run. I have grow-out coops, and I just put up temporary small run areas around 'em with chicken wire and garden stakes. That way everybody gets to see, smell, hear each other and even bump chests through the chicken wire without any mayhem or injuries. They stay there with their own feed & water for about 2 to 3 weeks. By the time I take down the temporary fencing, everybody "knows" everybody else, and when the youngsters mingle, there only minor pecking order isssues. Integration goes very well that way.

I have never had bantams but that is always the way that I integrate new birds.... young or old. Although I don't usually leave them that long unless there is fighting between the fences.

Hope this helps!

Hi I have 3 silkies age 10wks and have just got 4 new chicks age 6wks speckled marans choc orpington and cream legbar ? i was very nervous about
putting them in together but hey when i last looked they were all cuddled up together silkies behaving like proud mummys , hope it carries on this good
as Im leaving them together overnight , the new chicks were not scared at all when they first met it was my silkies that were freaked out but with the new chicks being so laid back about it all seemed to chill the silkies down.......
fingers crossed for tonight
I do have 2 chicks who seem tired and weak any advice please

Debbie

Quote:
Some chick vitamin in their water? If you don't have any on hand you can try a "very small pinch" of sugar in their water. Too much can give them pasty butt. Other good things to have on hand are pedialyte and Polyvisol liquid children's vitamns without iron.

I put their little butts outside.
ya.gif
v Now I have the job of cleaning the the pack-n-play that was their brooder.
barnie.gif

Once again, thank you for the info.

Back
Top Bottom