what is a good all around wormer i can give my flock

maransfan16

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2012
southwest kentucky
i have a flock of 50 or so and i do eat the eggs from them but i am trying to find a good all around wormer i can give them and how long after giving it to them is it safe to eat the eggs again

M personal preference is albendazole (Valbazen) because it is relatively gentle on them, will not cause a backup of dead worms or toxins even if there is a heavy worm load, and kills all the worms they get. Many people prefer fenbendazole (Safeguard) which is also fine. I believe the recommendation is to toss eggs for 3 weeks after the last dose of any wormer.

Here is a good article with more links

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens

One dose of Valbazen, which needs to be repeated in 10 days, will kill most worms, but Safeguard needs to be used 5 days in a row for the same efficacy, so Valbazen is probably the better choice.

• Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound (20mg/kg) once by mouth and repeat in ten days. The average Rhode Island sized hen would get 0.5ml of Valbazen.

• Safeguard dose for the same worm coverage is 0.23ml per pound (50mg/kg) by mouth for 5 consecutive days. The average Rhode Island sized hen would get 1.5ml of Safeguard for five days. Safeguard liquid or paste can be used - Same amount for either one.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Apple cider vinegar is safe and gets the job done. It also makes the gut stronger.
It's misleading to claim that vinegar will kill worms in chickens. While many of us occasionally put some vinegar in the water of our chickens, it is not a cure for worms, coccidiosis, or other diseases of chickens. Getting a chicken's droppings tested by the vet is the best way to know what types of worms are present. Then using a wormer such as the ones above or others that have been proven in studies to kill poultry worms would be wise.

Back
Top Bottom