What is a good dog to have around chickens?

clheck28

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 30, 2008
My children having been asking for a dog but I am having a hard time coming up with a dog that would be suitable to live with our chickens. We let our chickens free range on a pretty regular basis and I hate to start to confind them just because we get a dog. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good dog to have around chickens?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I would stay away from the working breeds and bird dog breeds.
There are a lot of small family type breeds that would be okay get a puppy and its in the training.
Best of luck.

My toy poodles are well behaved around my chickens. The youngest one likes to make them jump in the air sometimes. He thinks everyone wants to play with him.

We have a great dane, great pyraneese, newfoundland, and a boston terrier, and they're all very good around the chickens, and the other animals here.

We have a collie and a golden retriever who are very good around all our animals and chickens. Some of our chickens freerange and my daughters two pitbulls are always over here. They lay in the grass and walk right past the chickens they have no interest in them at all. Right now I have a 5 day old baby pygmy goat in the house (her mothr abondanded her) my golden Murphy thinks she is a puppy and wants to play with her. They get along just great. If you train your dog not to bother the chickens they should be OK I really don't think the breed matters its the dogs personality that matters.

Quote:
NOT A HUNTING DOG! Trust me on this one
hit.gif
I love my dog, but she likes to eat chickens. Turns psycho around birds....

I would think a Lab would be good as someone else suggested. Maybe like a small dog? Lhasa Apso? Labradoodle? NOT a terrier...
Good Luck
Christina

Back
Top Bottom