What is considered a "good" egg?

Exotica

C'est La Vie
Aug 16, 2015
Baldwin Park, California
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!

My girls haven't started laying yet but I just wanted to see what everyone thinks a "good" egg is. For example: size, color, how the albumen should be, how it should taste, etc.
And how does one go about achieving that? (for their hens to consistently lay good eggs)

Thanks!
wee.gif

A good egg is considered to be edible.:) so mostly all the eggs you will be getting from your will be just fine to eat. I would recommend giving them oyster shells for thicker egg shells. The better the chicken is taken care of the better the eggs will taste. Good luck!

A good egg is considered to be edible.
smile.png
so mostly all the eggs you will be getting from your will be just fine to eat. I would recommend giving them oyster shells for thicker egg shells. The better the chicken is taken care of the better the eggs will taste. Good luck!
Thank you for your answer! I was asking because I see picture of store bought eggs vs. free range eggs and the free range one's have a thicker looking albumen and are bright orange.

Bright orange yolk color is from xanthophylls (natural yellow pigments) these are found in 'greens' so give you chickens treats like kale, spinach, broccoli, collards, zucchini, brussels sprouts and the sorts...

Also a balanced diet that includes animal proteins and animal fats will improve the eggs taste and color...

Bright orange yolk color is from xanthophylls (natural yellow pigments) these are found in 'greens' so give you chickens treats like kale, spinach, broccoli, collards, zucchini, brussels sprouts and the sorts...

Also a balanced diet that includes animal proteins and animal fats will improve the eggs taste and color...
Ooh! I will definitely give them greens as treats. Thank you so much for your answer! They are barely a few weeks old
but I will be feeding them a feed with animal protein! Can I also give them leftover pieces of cooked meat in the future? I'll
wash them so they have no flavoring and cut into small pieces

Yes, they can have most table scraps, including meats... Consult a list of what to avoid, and remember moderation is your friend when it comes to 'treats'...
That's perfect - I don't have to throw away those leftovers that you bring home 'cause you're "going to eat it, you swear" then it just rots in the back of your fridge.
I'l also be sure to only give them treats once or twice a day? Or should it only be once a day.. once every few days? Right now four of my girls are about 3 weeks and a few days.
I've been giving them crickets and mealworms as treats - is that okay? Are crickets or mealworms better? I also have chicks that are about a week old.. can they have crickets yet?
Sorry for all the questions!!

P.S. I give the older one's chick grit sprinkled on top of their food to be able to break down the bugs

Back
Top Bottom