What is DE?

mommy2pnutty

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
I was researching what people but in their runs. And some said DE with a layer of sand. What is DE? thanks!

From what I've learned it is basically crushed fossils. Full of calcium. it is also microscopically speaking very jagged and sharp so it helps with mites and other small exoskeleton creatures as it cuts the skeleton and causes them to dry out and die.

To us it looks like a fine white powder similar to flour but more coarse. Apparently it's important to get "food grade" DE. I guess the food grade stuff is from fresh water and the other is from salt water. When I was a kid our pool used a DE filter and it's still quite a popular way to filter a pool.

Of course, the food grade is substantially more expensive but I was lucky enough to find a local supplier so I don't have to pay shipping which seems to be the big killer.

I sprinkle some around the coop. It helps with mites and keeps things dry. I also mix a little in with their food as suggested to add calcium to their diet.

As ddawn says, search the forum, their is PLENTY of info here on it.

diatomacious(sp?) earth. you can get it at the local feed stores usually. but make sure it is the kind that is safe for around pets. the other i think has a bad chemical and is used in pool filters.

i find it helps keep the flies down and the birds have less issues with mites.

you can also use it in dog bedding to keep fleas at bay.

also, make sure to wear gloves since it seems to affect the skin a little. and don't spread it around in windy/breezy areas where you might inhale it's kicked up dust.

Back
Top Bottom