What is going on with my Roo?

LesleyS

Chirping
Aug 28, 2018
My Silkie roo is walking around with his balance off, kinda doing a figure 8 and going in circles and biting at other chickens. What is going on? It's frightening me!

Is he putting his wings out or down towards the ground? The way you described it sounds a little like his dominance dance. Mine do it to try and determine who is alpha. Mornings and evenings are always the worst when they do the “dance” with the others. Maybe try to post a video of him doing it, I could be wrong.

Is he putting his wings out or down towards the ground? The way you described it sounds a little like his dominance dance. Mine do it to try and determine who is alpha. Mornings and evenings are always the worst when they do the “dance” with the others. Maybe try to post a video of him doing it, I could be wrong.
No, it isn't that. I don't know how to explain it. I've never seen anything like it. It's as if his head is leading him around, dizzy maybe but most definitely out of control. All the other chickens were standing around watching him. It's like he's doing some funky dance in his head and the body can't follow.

No, it isn't that. I don't know how to explain it. I've never seen anything like it. It's as if his head is leading him around, dizzy maybe but most definitely out of control. All the other chickens were standing around watching him. It's like he's doing some funky dance in his head and the body can't follow.
I would check his eyes and ears, make sure nothing is in there! Sounds very scary! I hope everything turns out ok with him! :hugs

Thank you all for your help and I apologize for not replying. He died the next day.

So sorry for your loss. If you should lose another bird with unusualsymptoms, I would keep the body refrigerated cold, but not frozen, and send it to your state poultry vet for a necropsy. I would worry about Mareks disease or other neurological problem, from head injury or vitamin deficiency, and some other diseases. Did it look anything like adjusting his crop?

Back
Top Bottom