What is going on?

Buttercup725

Songster
Jan 6, 2023
Deltona, FL
I purchased week old chicks today. I got an Easter Egger and a Japanese Bantam. When I got home, I note the bantam had a lump its belly. I was a bit concerned and had no idea what it could be. I noticed this evening that it became lethargic so I gave it sugar water via syringe and it seems much happier! But, I noticed in the bedding something looks like bloody poop and that lump is no longer there. So what the heck could this be? This is my first go with chicks. I’m used to ducklings/ducks.

Attachments

• 15FD317F-D9C3-4C96-9C8D-9FBE0B859E68.jpeg
    15FD317F-D9C3-4C96-9C8D-9FBE0B859E68.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2CE4D41A-785A-4502-9355-5EBBA2854E24.jpeg
    2CE4D41A-785A-4502-9355-5EBBA2854E24.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 4
  • CA6A4946-585D-48FC-A623-92CF2EE1FF15.jpeg
    CA6A4946-585D-48FC-A623-92CF2EE1FF15.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 4
Are you sure the lump wasn't just its crop? It's the only lump I can think of that appears and disappears (depending on how much food they eat).

As for the bloody looking poop I'd be concerned about coccidiosis especially if they are acting lethargic. Do you know if they were vaccinated against coccidia and if not are you feeding them medicated chick starter? It's more common to see coccidiosis in older chicks (about a month old) but I'd consider treating them with Corid because coccidiosis can kill quickly.

Are you sure the lump wasn't just its crop? It's the only lump I can think of that appears and disappears (depending on how much food they eat).

As for the bloody looking poop I'd be concerned about coccidiosis especially if they are acting lethargic. Do you know if they were vaccinated against coccidia and if not are you feeding them medicated chick starter? It's more common to see coccidiosis in older chicks (about a month old) but I'd consider treating them with Corid because coccidiosis can kill quickly.
Hey, the little guy didn’t make it through the night. I do have medicated chick starter and unsure if they’re vax’d. I’ll look into Corid!

Hey, the little guy didn’t make it through the night. I do have medicated chick starter and unsure if they’re vax’d. I’ll look into Corid!
Sorry to hear the chick didn't make it. Chicks should be good on medicated food (at least until they are let outside and exposed to more coccidia), but if they were vaccinated for coccidia then medicated food can actually interfere with developing immunity. Confusing, I know.

Hope your other guy is doing ok and you can get him a new friend.

Back
Top Bottom