What is going on

aldanfac

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Maryland, USA
Hi guys so one of my amerucanas has always been different, she’s very shy and keeps to herself and has always slept like she was dead. She always makes me worried because she looks dead from inside lol, I have always told myself she’s fine because of this but now after really looking at her I’m a bit worried. She is the ONLY chicken sleeping sometimes and I’ve noticed her comb is pale. I’ve given rooster booster, electrolytes, probiotics and corid to them all just as preventative treatment over the past month too. My question is is there something going on that I have been missing? Or is this something else by chance? Or am I just crazy and this chicken is just a sleepy skittish shy chicken? These pictures look so bad to me though I need some opinions and advice on what to do next
927FE5EC-FC01-4941-AB0A-80F9C5371048.jpeg
11D0CD4F-2DF8-43B4-A3B8-C0A1436ABA85.jpeg
98A9D353-19F3-4191-A677-E4BEF90A64BC.jpeg
D17E7C6C-094A-41B7-B571-B49DF33F85B6.jpeg
243F5BF3-A775-43F8-A13F-CF4D95EE5E89.jpeg

These are her siblings combs just to compare
F82E133B-6A44-4049-8E53-F28268E946B2.jpeg
424D91A2-B6D2-4B1E-93B5-AD218AE0DDB8.jpeg

I’ve given rooster booster, electrolytes, probiotics and corid to them all just as preventative treatment over the past month too.
Did you give the rooster booster, electrolytes, probiotics and Corid all at the same time together?
What do you feed, including treats?

Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.

Get some photos of her poop.

I'd be inclined to treat her for Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Did you give the rooster booster, electrolytes, probiotics and Corid all at the same time together?
What do you feed, including treats?

Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.

Get some photos of her poop.

I'd be inclined to treat her for Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
I didn’t do them all together just over the course of the past month. This past week I’ve added corid preventative dose but I’ll probably up it a bit. Feed they get a mix blend that has crumble, calcium and corn plus treats like cucumbers and tomatoes and other random veggies. It seems like her crop is emptying every night but I am going to keep checking that over the next few days, and her poop is pretty normal I’ll try to get a photo but yesterday she pooped while I was there watching her and it was a pretty small but average poop no blood or discoloration

How old are they and when did you last deworm them?

Did you inspect the coop closely for mites ( best done at night when they will come out of their hideouts to feed on the chickens blood)?
They are about 4 months ish now and haven’t been dewormed since they were very small, the person I got them from had already done it I believe and I just haven’t known enough about it to start I didn’t think this was worms either but is that what it seems like to you? I checked her personally for mites and didn’t see anything, I’ll check the coop tonight and see.. what dewormer do you recommend and if you don’t mind could you give me a quick rundown on it?

Is this a scratch mix or a complete feed?
At 4 months old I'd feed them chick starter or an all flock feed.
It’s 2 bags of crumble that I mix myself with a bag of cracked corn, I was on an all flock feed but switched to the egg layer feed just because they are all almost at egg laying age and I thought it would be a good switch considering one that’s just a couple weeks older has already started laying. Should I change the feed?

It’s 2 bags of crumble that I mix myself with a bag of cracked corn, I was on an all flock feed but switched to the egg layer feed just because they are all almost at egg laying age and I thought it would be a good switch considering one that’s just a couple weeks older has already started laying. Should I change the feed?
I would stop the corn completely and only think of feeding some in extreme low winter temperatures.

Better to keep feeding starter/ grower feed and just ad a separate dish of oyster shells for those already laying.
And always carefully check the feed bags for milling dates and strange odour or mold and insects.

Back
Top Bottom