What is happening? Is she Molting?

Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
Hi everyone.

I have four hens. They were born August 5th 2021. So they are just over a year and a month or so old. they have never gone through a molt before and I have never experienced a molt so I dont really know what I am looking for.

The Road Island Red hen pictured is just losing all of her feathers. It started in her back area and spread to her head, neck, under wings, and vent area. Her feathers are just falling off. When I touch her I can feel all of the missing feathers as well. She is the only hen that this is happening to right now. I have never seen the other girls peck at her and the coop and run they have is very large for just the four of them.

I put a saddle protector on my hens back to protect her skin on her back as it is very bare. I have been feeding more protein and giving back there eggs to help them get more protein.

I am just curious whether or not this is a molt or something else going on?

I also want to treat them for worms/mites this weekend, but I didn't know if I should if her immune system is compromised already?

I also worry for all the father loss because I am from mass and the weather is down between 30-40s thought out the day. What can I do to keep her warm while this is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpeg
    IMG_1869.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    679.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    940.4 KB · Views: 13
Don't use any type of apron on her it might damage her pin feathers. High protein treats are good but if she stopped laying don't let her eat layer feed. Give her 20% or higher protein feed. It will help her to regrow the feathers faster.

As for her comfort, she doesn't require heat. Just make sure your coop is well ventilated and wind resistant.

Back
Top Bottom