What is in your First Aid Kit for your chickens

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
There may already be a thread like this and if so I apologize for starting another one. I thought it would be handy for those just starting out with chickens to have a list & pictures of common items to have on hand in case of an emergency. Keep in mind since I'm a nurse I have a multitude of items that most first aid kits would not have. Here is a list of my items and some pics. The second picture is just a close up of the Bandguard that is in the first picture. The first picture from left to right and back to front is as follows:

1. Blue Kote ~ Veterinary Antiseptic - Protective Wound Dressing ($6)
2. Poultry Nutri-Drench ~ Poultry Vitamins ($5) Not necessary for daily use. Mainly for rapid results or for shipping.
3. Epson Salt ~ For sprained legs etc. ($2)
4. Hydrogen Peroxide ~ General cleaning of wounds - mix half and half with water. ($2)
5. Bitter Lime ~ To prevent fur biting, hair chewing and skin scratching. I have it for my dogs...not 100% sure it would work for the chickens though. ($6)
6. Popcicle Sticks ~ for leg or wing injury where stablization is needed. Free after you eat the popcicles
big_smile.png

7. Medicine dropper ~ To administer meds, food or water to sick or wounded bird. (2 pack for $2)
8. Bandage scissors ~ A must for any family regardless if you have pets or not. It helps that I have access to multiple ones. Hemostats are also a good thing to have - see bottem picture. (Free)
9. Vit-tal Vitamins & Electrolytes ~ For stressed or injured chickens. Short term use only. ($2)
10. Bag Balm ~ Use it for dry legs or skin ($7-8)
11. Flys Off ~ Fly repellent ointment for wounds & sores ($7) They also have a spray that you can use.
12. TAO or Triple Antibiotic Ointment ~ For general cuts, scrapes etc. ($3)
13. Banguard ~ I have this from my vet when my dog got spayed and I called and he said it would also work for chickens. You apply directly on bandages, casts, tape and other wounds or dressings to deter self-mutilation or in the case of chickens....possible test tasting from other animals. ($13)

100_1900.jpg

100_1903.jpg

100_1909.jpg

That brings up a question I just thought of.
Do chickens bleed like parrots do?
If a parrot gets a cut you need to apply stiptic powder to stop the bleeding, they dont clot well.
Are chickens the same way?

Yes, Barg. It's a good idea to have some of that powder on hand in case they bleed or you cut a toenail too close.

I want to add to the list-
A cage or large tupperware container to isolate a bird if you have to. Oh, and a light to keep a sick bird warm.
Vet Wrap
Rooster Booster- Prevents feather pulling and vent picking

After we compile this list, can we please put it up as a stickie under the Emergencies topic and/or the information home pages?
It has been brought up before (see the following two links) and I agree it would be very worthwhile to see it posted in one place for new and old.
I can help do this by putting all the suggestions in one list if everyone thinks it would be a good idea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3222

I think posting this with a sticky is an excellent (Or eggcellent?
wink.png
) idea.
Another suggestion would be a heating pad, used with the low setting only. It is sometimes easier to use than a light for warmth.
Last saturday I went to a "quickie" first aid class for pets, held our local Humane Society.
Here is the list they recommended as to what to have on hand for pets in general:
Scissors (the medical kind with one rounded edge),
Adhesive tape,
Gauze,
Adhesive wrap or ace bandage,
Latex gloves,
Digital thermometer & KY Jelly (any water soluble jelly would do, it has many uses),
Hydrogen peroxide,
Syringe (without needle) for oral medications, Emergency blanket or towel,
Water
Spare medications (that pet is currently on)
ID Card with medical records, vaccinations and photos, Spare leash, collar & tags (I don't think to many of us use those for our chickens, but maybe we should substitute some form of cage or box),
Pet first Aid Book (Red Cross sells online) (I didn't check, if they had anything on birds),
Waterproof container to hold all of the supplies.
The vet also recommended tweasers, toungue depressors for use as splint and sterile saline solution (for cleaning wounds)
If we get a good list together for chickens, I'll check with my vet and see if he has any further suggestions. He loves chickens too and has been a great help with mine.

Thanks mudhen for posting the thread that I put my humoungous list on!

I think it would be great to be stickied...but another suggestion might be to get a good list together and add a few things...

1. Star the top 10-15 items....lets say your must haves!
2. Explain some of the uses of the items (not always obvious)
3. Explain some of the alternatives (many things are preferences as to which you use--you don't need both)
3. Post it on the web page...not just a sticky.

I'd love to work on that list with a few other people if everyone likes the idea.

Sandra

A few great additions to a holistic first aid kit:

Arnica montana, homeopathic pellets. Potency of 30C if possible (if lower potency, such as 6X, administer more often throughout the day). Helpful in cases of inflammation, pain, and generally any physical or emotional trauma. General recommendation I've been taught for pets is to add pellets (typically 3) to water dish 1 to 2 times per day, and continue for at least 2 to 3 days or the length of time required to heal injury/trauma (up to 14 days, typically).

Rescue Remedy. For any physical or emotional trauma, including newly shipped chicks, injuries, upset at new surroundings or new chickens added to coop. Add 5 drops to water dish each time water is changed. Continue through duration of injury, upset, or period of adjustment (up to one month).

The other flower remedies (like Rescue Remedy) can also be incredibly helpful in dealing with a variety of emotional, physical and behavioral problems. Read about the remedies online (google Bach flower remedies), and check out the books Bach Flower Remedies for Animals and Holistic Healing for Birds for indications on which remedy to choose when.

Calendula salve for cuts, scrapes, bites. Ours is homemade, but there are many on the market (we use in place of the TAO).

These products can be found in most health food stores, and are of course great for humans, too!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom