what is internal and external pipping?

Internal pipping is when the chick breaks through the air cell INSIDE the egg. You won't notice anything from outside the egg, but can notice it with candling. You'll also hear peeping when this happens.

External pipping is when you can see a hole in the egg. The chick has pecked through the shell at that point.

Note: it's better to not candle the eggs or mess with the incubator the last few days before hatch. Therefore, you won't really notice internal pipping.

im not supose to lockdown until day 25. and its 23. but i can see the beak in the aircell with very little fluid..so does that mean its trying to break through the membrane ?? some of my eggs dont look ready. so im afraid to put the humidity up.

The eggs are different sizes. so i think thats why so look more dehydrated than others. but if locking them down isnt for a few more days do i put the humidity up for the ones trying to internally pip or do i wait because the others arent dehydrated enough??

I see! Well, you've gone beyond my limited knowledge base now.
ep.gif
Hopefully, someone else will jump in. What I do if just follow my time schedules. If I should lock down on day 25 then that's when I would do it and raise the humidity for all. (That may not be the best, by the way.)

I take it that none of these are chicken eggs? My only experience is in hatching chicken eggs, so things may be different with what you're hatching.

They are all looking o.k. but now im worried. one of the eggs has membrane stuck to the inside of the shell!! oh man. it looks like it was stuck and its starting to become un-stuck but looks like its leaving a smear or trail of where its coming off. i had them upright in a egg carton..but i took that one and put it in a separate incubator and laid it down on its side. im hoping gravity will do its job and get the rest unstuck fron the inside of the shell. the duck is still alive and moving alot. but it doesnt look right. i can see a tiny blood spot even on the outside of the shell. probably from the force of membrane tearing to unstick itself. jeez..i hope itll be alright

If they are close to hatching you really need to resist the urge to open the incubator. Every time you open it to check on them or candle them you loose humidity and increase the chances that they won't be able to hatch. It takes a while for them to hatch

Yea. i was worried about that. they look restless but i was hoping since day 25 (for duck eggs) isnt until tomorrow that it would be alright to move the one questionally hurt egg into a separate incubator. and keep them untouched starting tomorrow. and for the 3 days if needed.

Back
Top Bottom