What is it and what do I do?

coffeenutdesign

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Texas
I have a 2-year-old production red hen. She has been setting in the nest box a lot but there are never eggs in that box. This has been going on a couple of weeks. Today they were in all day, they usually free range, and when I went to let them out for a while this evening, she was still on the roost. She came out, but shortly after she was just sitting on the ground and the other hens were picking on her. She let me pick her up. I don't see any sign of injury. I felt up under her vent and it feels full and squishy. I am not sure what that means. I checked another hen for comparison and it didn't feel as full, but the hen that is her age (acting fine) did feel similar. My sick hen's comb is a little floppy. Her feathers are shiny and full, she just finished a LONG molt and her legs aren't scaly. I took her to water and she drank some.

What could it be and what should my treatment plan be at this point? I have her separated, but the one other older hen I have (the only 2 left of my original flock) insisted on staying with her so they are together.

Last edited:
Upon further inspection, she has a kind of messy bum. I can't tell if it's dried eggness or poops, but it is yellow and white and there is some yellow mess around her vent.

Back
Top Bottom