What is it?

Jun 12, 2023
I have a 1 year old cinnamon queen that I worry is unhealthy in some way, but I don’t know what it is. She is eating, drinking, looks healthy and seems herself personality-wise, but here’s what isn’t going right:

-2 weeks ago her bottom was dirty with poop (it often is), but this time also very red and has obvious feathers missing, there’s quite a bald patch under her vent.
-I noticed her poop was quite runny every day.
-Shortly after noticing these things, she didn’t lay for a couple of days and now is laying shell-less eggs, soft eggs, or extremely thin shelled eggs every day.

Here’s what I’ve tried to do to help, but not seeing any changes:

-I’ve added probiotics to the water
-I’ve bathed her and her bottom has stayed clean now
-I’ve tried used monistat in case it was some sort of yeast issue

She’s never had any colored discharge from her vent and I don’t see any bugs or eggs. It has suddenly been very hot the last few weeks with no rain, like 80-90s during the day every day. That’s the only environmental change I can think of. Not sure if that would cause this issue?

I’ve not seen any changes for the better or worse over these past couple weeks. Not sure what to think?! I have 4 other hens that I have not separated her from and they seem fine.

I would try giving her a human calcium citrate tablet with d3 600mg daily for up to a week, to see if her shells get stronger. Summer hot temperatures can increase thirst and drinking, which may may droppings more liquid. Those can drip and get stuck on feathers or the bottom of the belly, and can build up. She may be getting her feathers pecked out by others.

I would try giving her a human calcium citrate tablet with d3 600mg daily for up to a week, to see if her shells get stronger. Summer hot temperatures can increase thirst and drinking, which may may droppings more liquid. Those can drip and get stuck on feathers or the bottom of the belly, and can build up. She may be getting her feathers pecked out by others.
Thank you, I will try that. How do I give the tablet? Crush it up?

Back
Top Bottom