What is likely hood of cancer in my 5 year old chickens?

Peoples

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2017
East Tennessee
I had 2 chickens from same breeder (barn yard mixes of alot chickens) that I had raised since teens. 5 years old now. I took one to avain vet three weeks ago and it was discovered had a mass inside her mouth and given anti inflammatory and anti biotic to treat. They were able to cut it out. She wasn't getting better and when we took her back after two weeks they did an x ray and discovered masses internal as well and diagnosed with cancer and we put her down to eliminate further suffering for what would be the inevitable. Today my other hen was wide open mouth breathing and noticed what looked like vomit or clear fluids on ground after she drank water. A trip to the vet and vet said mass at the back of her throat similar to the other and vet said not other signs of illness and gave same medicines. Asked if they came from same lineage but hard to say as barnyard mix and one looked like a Dominique and other a Americana. Again a barnyard mix so unknown if they could have shared at least one parent. So my questions are this. What is the likelihood of both getting cancer? Could it be something else? Because of the location of mass on second bird unable to remove as at the back of her throat. What could cause masses in mouth or throat? Vet says not viral nor parasite. I do have 5 other birds from different places. I do worry if the vet may have it wrong...anyone have another possible explanation..

I had 2 chickens from same breeder (barn yard mixes of alot chickens) that I had raised since teens. 5 years old now. I took one to avain vet three weeks ago and it was discovered had a mass inside her mouth and given anti inflammatory and anti biotic to treat. They were able to cut it out. She wasn't getting better and when we took her back after two weeks they did an x ray and discovered masses internal as well and diagnosed with cancer and we put her down to eliminate further suffering for what would be the inevitable. Today my other hen was wide open mouth breathing and noticed what looked like vomit or clear fluids on ground after she drank water. A trip to the vet and vet said mass at the back of her throat similar to the other and vet said not other signs of illness and gave same medicines. Asked if they came from same lineage but hard to say as barnyard mix and one looked like a Dominique and other a Americana. Again a barnyard mix so unknown if they could have shared at least one parent. So my questions are this. What is the likelihood of both getting cancer? Could it be something else? Because of the location of mass on second bird unable to remove as at the back of her throat. What could cause masses in mouth or throat? Vet says not viral nor parasite. I do have 5 other birds from different places. I do worry if the vet may have it wrong...anyone have another possible explanation..
Hmm that would be a weird
coincidence

Could you have your soil tested to see if there's any cancer causing stuff in it? You never know these day's of what was there before it was built upon.
I wouldn't know where to get that done? They are in a old horse barn stall. Previous owners never had chickens. Just 2 horses. They are in covered run. Who would test soil? I have been here three years.

I wouldn't know where to get that done? They are in a old horse barn stall. Previous owners never had chickens. Just 2 horses. They are in covered run. Who would test soil? I have been here three years.
I have no idea. Maybe some chemical's had been spilled where your chicken's go? It seems strange that your chicken's got canser.

They haven't officially diagnosed the second chicken yet with cancer. But also initially thiught the first chicken had possibly got an infection by cut in mouth and want till x-rays they noticed other masses internal. This second chicken got a clean bill of health fo check up outside the mass in back of throat. We will go back in two weeks after antibiotics are almost done to see if anything else.

But I worry will be told same thing. What is the likelihood of both getting a mass in mouth area?
What exactly did the "mass" consist of? What colour, was there some kind of foul odour?

Canker i.e. consists of caseous yellowish/whitish masses and has a foul odor. These masses accumulate in the throat or beak and can even lead to asphyxiation if left untreated.
Sometimes ear infections can be seen as well.

Canker is caused by trichomonas gallinae and often transmitted by pidgeons/doves or wild birds. The infection is contagious, but treatable using Metronidazole.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/trichomonosis

Back
Top Bottom