What is my dog trying to do...

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Ozzy is not the brightest hammer in the toolbox. He learns well, but has no common sense. Since i've had chickies in the kitchen, he's obsessed. He stands there watching them. For hours. If they start squawking, he's right there whining at the cage. If i'm cleaning the brooder, he's on the other side of the kitchen gate whining and going nuts. If he's IN the kitchen, he's standing over my shoulder at the brooder door trying to get in.
Tail wagging. (Not always a good thing i've found.)
I have no idea if he's thinking "OOOooh nuggets on the half shell" or "Something is wrong I must protect!"
No clue. Don't wanna give him a chicken to find out.
He's never gone after one, but hasn't really had the opportunity.
The wining is driving me bat$hit.
That is all. I just had to get that out.
big_smile.png

My dog, Moose, does this at the guinea pig cage. There is a wooden step stool at the bottom of the table and he has chewed the corners of it out of frustration. When I put the guinea pig down he nudges it with his nose like a maniac. He prods it and licks, but sorta bites without hurting it. But he is manic about it. He does the whining thing evertime I go in there to feed the piggy, or play with it, or do anything. I'm still not sure that he doesn't want to eat the piggy, I will not leave the piggy out alone with Moose. The piggy is almost as big as the Moose.

In other words, I have no idea if your dog wants to eat them, or do some sort of weird almost eating grooming strangeness that my dog is doing.

Not just curiosity...When I got my chicks, one of my dogs had never seen or heard chickens or chicks before. I figured I'd see how he reacted, so I picked up one of the chicks and brought it toward the dog. His tail was wagging a hundred miles and hour. As soon as I brought the chick down to his face level, he opened his mouth to try and snatch it from my hand (he takes food from my hand very carefully and this is how he was doing it with the chick too). I knew right then that I'd have to work with him to get him to leave the birds alone, and he does now. It just takes time and effort on the owners' part to teach them is all.

I just got my chicks today and my Pom is having a fit to be in there with them, she's scratching at the bedroom door and is driving me crazy. She has never been bred so I guess she thinks they are her babies..

*We can hope that's what she thinks!! I think dogs pro'bly do best with chickens when the dogs are born with em-- Mine was already 1O went a live, under-cooked one showed up.

Quote:
ozzy does not have a pack structure in his life. He doesn't know his place.
Folks allow thier dogs to live in our HUMAN world and it confuses them and doesn't allow them to be dogs.
ozzy aint doin nothin wrong, he jist doesn't know any better coz he doesn't know who the alpha is and therefore wants to posess anything new that comes along. You can allow this behaviour or not, it's up to you.But when a dog can be a dog, behavioral(sp) issues(usualy due to anxiety) usualy don't occur.
Hope this helps ya

Back
Top Bottom