What is needed to start?

Gatordog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
I currently have 3 Hens and 3 Roos (chickens) and would like to start raising Quail. I live in deep South Texas so it gets very hot down here. For example today 11-26 it is over 80 degrees. Basically I need to know what type of coop design is needed, what is the comfort range in regards to temps for quail, and what do they eat. In other words if you have nothing what would you need. I plan on buying baby quail, not eggs.

Hey There Gatordog! Check out the sticky at the top of the quail section - most of your questions should be answered there....

Before any of that though - What kind of quail would you like to have? Once you know that - you can get huge amounts of info here! ( I know that I have!)
smile.png

I was planning on Bobwhites since I can buy them locally. Only problem is that Gator (my dog) loves to hunt Quail, hope he does not get confused. The only problem with Quail is you can not let them free range like chickens. My chickens are great, and they love there outside time which is all day. They even put themselves up at night, all I have to do is keep the coop clean and supply plenty of fresh water and food. Quail will be a bit different.

Being that you live in such a warm climate, an aviary for Bobwhites might be a good idea for you. I keep Bobwhites in an aviary setting, that we put together using dog kennel panels, covered in chicken wire. Roof on top to protect from the elements. And since you live in such a warm climate, you won't need to worry about "putting them to bed" as they can live their entire lives in the aviary. They will have their freedom and they will be safe from the dogs.
smile.png
We sunk railroad ties deep in the ground to stop things from digging underneath.

Feed them Gamebird food, fresh water, they love the extras like greens, some seeds and fruits.

Bobwhites generally pair up, one male to one female in the spring and they will fight with each other pretty fiercely during breeding season, April thru Sept., so you will probably need to plan on caging them during these times. The other 6 months of the year, they live together quite well. Keep them well away from your chickens and do not share food, water or cleaning utensils between quail and chickens.

Bobwhites can take extremely cold temps, although in your climate, heat will be the thing you need to worry about. Build your pens or aviary on the north side of a building and out of direct sunlight. When we see temps over 90, the aviaries can get over 100 degrees. I have to mist the aviaries down several times a day to keep the temp below 100 degrees in the aviaries.

Good luck with your Bob's!

I live where its hotter than three hells with a lid on top. My first question to you would be how many Bob's you gonna raise. Also, everyone raises birds different. I'm a firm believer in giving animals, birds, whatever alot of space. It keeps your pens easier to clean & a happy healthy flock. Positioning your coop will help a great deal. The prevailing wind is Southeast so you will want to face your windows towards the prevailing wind to keep them cooler in your forever summers. I'd block the north winds off.
I hate to show you my coop because everyone is getting tired of it but I'm going to because it will give you some pointers on dealing with hot weather. You will notice I built a deck over the run it really helped shade the birds last summer plus I can hang out up there as well. Notice the positioning with the flag the wind is blowing straight into the coop. The picture was taken in the summer.
63768_sign_on_bobs_house_002.jpg

7L - I'm confused now! (shocker - huh?) I doubt you not a bit, but winds going into the coop? Doesn't that contradict the NO DRAFTS rule? I get how this cools them down in the summer, but....ya' see where I get baffled? Please, type slowly and use small words as I am a natural blonde.
wink.png
Thanks!

OK its summer out & 110 degrees drafts from a south wind will cool them. You want to protect them from cold wind. You & your animals don't like standing outside with a bone chilling wind blowing on you but a summer breeze is always nice.

Good deal!! Like tonight the wind is howling out of the north I've blocked off the wind on that side. But I doubled checked & entered the coop to make sure all is well. Their fine but I did notice they are all next to each other because it will be a cold night. Just keep the cold wind off them . They act like they hate each other till it gets cold & then they huddle next to each other who knows? Dang birds are hard to figure out.

Back
Top Bottom