What is proper pecking and what is getting out of hand

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Hi, we brought home our girls today. We picked up three girls, a Barred Rock, a Jersey Black Giant and a Delaware. They are 1.5 months, except the Barred Rock is a wee bit older. Well, I noticed the Delaware is pecking at the Barred Rock a bit. They were hatched together and have grown up together. Is this normal? The Delaware isn't doing it constantly but maybe every once in a while. We've only been home a few hours and I find my butt glued to a lawn chair out by the run.

They are in a new home, so naturally they will be a bit unsettled at first. What they did in their old home, doesn't apply now. Just let them settle a bit, they will work things out.

Besides, there's not much you can do really. If the Rock shows blood tomorrow, then there is a problem and you may have to separate them. But really, this is normal
smile.png

< drags lawn chair back into the house and hangs head in new chicken owning shame. LOL Here I was ready to sit them down for a stern talking to. "Listen ladies, we drove two hours to go get you so you'd better shape up because you are here for keeps." Man, I'm already attached to Mabel, Maude and Ethel!

Man, I'm already attached to Mabel, Maude and Ethel!
Too funny..we have 2 yr old Barred Rocks.....we started out with 4 chicks.

The 3 remaining are Molly, Maggie and Martha..........Martha being the bully.
Mimi was a victim.

We get anywhere from NO eggs a day to 2......go figger..
We're happy with what we get. We're just 2 people in this household

They meet our needs and then some to sell......
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom