What is proper quarantine procedure?

marlaw

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
Hi guys...many threads on this forum advise quarantining new chickens before adding to flock. I get that, but not really sure what I'm looking for. I'm generally looking for an overview of how to properly quarantine and monitor new birds. Our chickens are pretty cool so I am more concerned about the biological implications rather than the social ones.

I know I need to be observing all the chickens--looking for illness--but what about more serious diseases like Marek's? Is it possible one of the new chickens could be carrying something life threatening without showing symptoms? I'm not really familiar with a lot of the diseases yet. How long should I quarantine the new birds? Is it really just a roll of the dice? The gambling with their little lives is stressing me out!

If you need more details, here's our situation:
We currently have 1 Serama bantam cockerel and 2 serama pullets--all about 8-9 months old. We're first time chicken owners and we've had them for about 3 weeks. Their coop wasn't quite finished when we got them and the weather turned quickly, so my husband has built them a nice LARGE 2 story indoor enclosure in the garage for the winter. They go out in the tractor when it's warm and dry enough during the day. We plan on adding 2 more pullets to our little flock this week and have an indoor quarantine coop set up for them as well. The three we have now have just started sneezing intermittently though--they do not appear to be in distress or showing any signs of illness other than the sneezing. I thought maybe it was their shavings (and I'm still not convinced it's not!), but hubby was concerned it was something more serious and is dosing them with VetRx tomorrow. I'm also switching their shavings from pine to hemp tomorrow. We'll be monitoring the sneezing situation--but they are otherwise very happy and healthy birds and we'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

People talk about the first part of quarantine which is isolation and observing for a certain amount of time, generally 30 days is enough for any active diseases to show themselves. You are correct birds can carry stuff they are immune to, but other birds aren't.

The second part of quarantine used to be to add a sacrificial bird from your original flock to the quarantine area to see if that bird comes down with something or not during those 30 days. The idea is one bird will become sick instead of your whole flock.

Most people don't do step two.

Source of new birds and age can help to determine how dangerous new birds can be. Chicks from a hatchery tend to be the safest addition. Older birds from swaps or sales should be avoided. When birds come together at those places diseases can be spread.

Dry sneezing in birds can be from dust or not enough ventilation. Wet sneezing isn't good and means a respiratory infection. People tend to want to protect chickens too much from drafts and temperatures which can cause problems. Closing up chickens too tight isn't good.

Since you are keeping your birds in the garage they may not be getting good ventilation. Another option is there's something in the garage that is a respiratory irritant.

People talk about the first part of quarantine which is isolation and observing for a certain amount of time, generally 30 days is enough for any active diseases to show themselves. You are correct birds can carry stuff they are immune to, but other birds aren't....

Thanks so much for your insight. My spidey senses are already tingling about the source and some of the stuff you said really validates my pause.

I'm pretty sure the sneezes are dry. We've been so overly cautious about drafts that I think we might have went too far the other direction. We wheeled their little coop to be next to an open screen door during the day but we covered it up mostly when the weather became damp and chilly. Still trying to find a good balance.

It sounds like it would be best to not add new birds until the sneezing is identified and controlled. Quarantining new birds is futile if you then add them to a flock that is sick. I sure to understand the desire to yield to chicken math, but holding off for a while could save some trouble and regret in the long run. Hopefully, it is nothing more than an irritant, and you can proceed with your plans.

It sounds like it would be best to not add new birds until the sneezing is identified and controlled. Quarantining new birds is futile if you then add them to a flock that is sick. I sure to understand the desire to yield to chicken math, but holding off for a while could save some trouble and regret in the long run. Hopefully, it is nothing more than an irritant, and you can proceed with your plans.

Yeah, you're right. We talked it over this morning and decided that we should wait and err on the side of caution. I've heard people laugh about chicken math but didn't really understand what it means--but man, the force is strong with it, huh? lol

Back
Top Bottom