What is sticking out of my hen's behind?

ChurkLover

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
St. Louis
Can anyone tell me what this is (can see it best in the first picture, toward the top)? At first, I thought it was an underdeveloped egg, and I was afraid to do anything with it but it is still there today...just noticed this yesterday morning. A closer look this morning and it definitely is not an egg. She tried pooping a little while I was taking this picture and it just went around the side of this thing stricking out, I guess that is why her bottom is so dirty. I am sorry the pictures are a little gross and not very clear, but I didn't want to put her under more stress by handling her. I am not sure what to do...
62671_seabright2.jpg

62671_seabright_1.jpg

Last edited:
It looks to be a prolapse. Clean up her bottom good, trim the feathers around the area if you can and apply prep H cream and try to push it back inside. You don't want it to dry out or the tissue will die.

You could try to put her in some warm water, like a bath, and that may help her pass it. The warm water can help loosen things up for them... I know they do this for chickens that are egg bound or have underdeveloped eggs stuck.

I did some research on prolapse and it sounds like that is the problem. It is sticking out - a lot - and I will do some cleaning and try to get it back in but don't know if it will work.... thanks everyone!

Keeping the tissue moist is critical. If it is very swollen, you need to sprinkle it liberally with plain old granulated sugar. The sugar will draw excess fluid (swelling) out of the tissue, making it easier to replace. Rinse the sugar off with body temperature water when you think it has shrunk enough to go back in. You would not believe the difference sugar can make. Sometimes with dogs, usually puppies, severe diarrhea can cause them to prolapse the rectum. By the time the owners would bring them in, the prolapse had been tightly squeezed by the anus for several hours, making the swelling even worse. We would rinse it with saline solution, then fill a zip loc bag with sugar and sit them in it/hold it on. Not unusual to see it shrink by half or more in just 10-15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom