what is the best cold hardy brown egg laying chicken

Quote:
Have you had this experience, keeping ISA's in cold weather? My experience is that laid very, very well right through our bitter cold winter last year. My only concern with the ISA is that the feathering is bred to be a little tighter than those specifically bred to be cold hardy breeds

Orpingtons. Very similar to Australorps anyway since that's really what an Australorp is, an Australian Orpington.

My barred rock did excellent, as did my RIR and red sex links, but if you go with a Buff Orpington you get the bonus of broody in the spring
wink.png

I'm convinced Buff Orpingtons are the best chickens ever.

I do like my Golden Comet though too- shes a tough little one, and laid all winter. Hardy little girl

It gets really cold at my house, considering that I live in the mountains. I have barred rocks, buff orpingtons, and 1 New Hampshire Red. If you look in the breed index, they will tell you if its good for cold weather or not.

I have 4 Black Australorp girls that are 9 months old. It has been in the teens at night already, we have had a few inches of snow and wind chills in the teens already during the day. I get 4 eggs a day. Every day. Aussies are known to not only be cold hardy but are some of the best layers.

I nead a hen that will lay through cold winters could eany boudy share with me what they think is best.
I actually did some research and what I found is the Rhode Island Red. But I am positive that there are alot more good breeds out there. Good luck!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom