What is the best treatment for mites?

My chickens have mites or lice, I cannot tell but they are not looking well. I treated them with DE 4 weeks ago and they look worse. I am in Canada and have no access to any Electoral psp or permethrin. Help!
As for in Canada, I think you can get this. It's 0.35% permethrin. I realize it doesn't say on the label for mites and lice, but will work. Some people swear by DE but it work for me either.
https://www.amazon.ca/PRO-PER-R-T-U...d=1620573027&sprefix=pyrethrin,aps,281&sr=8-3

Attachments

• PermethrinCanada.jpg
    PermethrinCanada.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1
  • CanadaPermethrin.jpg
    CanadaPermethrin.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1
I think my chickens might have mites. What would be the best treatment to get rid of them?
Use 7 dust on the chickens, under her wings, vent and back, nest box and add some to the dust bathing area, all roosts and floor after cleaning. Repeat after a week, and continue to add to dust bath every once in a while. Do not get on cats ,food or water. If they have pale combs give vitamins for chickens in the drinking water. This worked great for me. Now I just sprinkle a little in the dust bathing area from time to time and add to nest boxes and perches after cleaning.

One word of caution. Sevin is no longer approved for use on animals. Some people still use it. I'll stick with permethrin. I know it works. I use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Most have permethin in it and there is no egg withdrawal period.

Okay, so I finally got the permethrin (I got the Martin's Pen & Poultry) and I sprayed the coop and the birds. Is spraying once going to be enough, or do I have to do it again? Also, for how long should I not eat their eggs?

Okay, so I finally got the permethrin (I got the Martin's Pen & Poultry) and I sprayed the coop and the birds. Is spraying once going to be enough, or do I have to do it again? Also, for how long should I not eat their eggs?
You need to reapply for 3 or 4 weeks because it does not kill the pests eggs so weekly repeat treatments are necessary. There is no egg withdrawal period with permethrin.

Back
Top Bottom