What is the best type of bedding for my chooks?

ponygirly306

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
I am looking to buy some sawdust/wood shavings and i am wondering what type to buy.
I am buying from pollards sawdust supplies and on their website (http://www.pollardssawdust.com.au/index.asp) it says to use pine shavings, take a look at the site if you like.

thanks!
~ponygirly306
thumbsup.gif

I buy two types of pine shavings that I buy from a feed store. One type is very coarse, large pieces, typically used in horse stalls. The other type is very fine and works really well for cage trays and nest boxes.

Some people like straw for bedding. Ive heard that it can harbor lice and mites but the reason that I dont like it is because it doesnt absorb moisture from the poo the way shavings do.

Chel

your suppose to use wood shavings for little Chicks and change to straw\\hay when they get older. I just stayed with wood shavings. They make it easier to clean the coop.

Quote:
Many folks do but it is a matter of preference, not a matter of "your suppose to."

They all work but some are harder to maintain than the other. I find straw and hay are harder to "fluff up" to freshen the bedding. I use whatever is cheapest for me. Right now I'm using pine shavings I buy by the bale. Straw is ridiculously expensive.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom