What is the best way to get a new bunny?

Country Heart

City Girl With A
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
San Jose, California
What is the best way to get a new bunny?
hu.gif

Is it best to find a breeder or adopt a local rescue? I am not really concerned with getting a particular breed, just looking for a good fit with a new pet.

Shelters are nice because you can go look at the rabbits you are interested in person. You can't always do that with breeders, especially if you are having a rabbit shipped. I've also bought one of my best rabbits from a pet store as a kid. Not a chain, but a local store where care was good and animals came from local breeders. Breeders are nice because you can find particular breeds and traits that interest you, and good breeders have healthy stock. You can also select breeders based on what they breed for (ie. temperament is probably something you are interested in). Unrepeatable breeders, shelters, or pet stores increase the risk of you ending up with an unhealthy rabbit. If you are interested in a specific breed though, I would go for a good breeder.

I just haven't personally found that you need to get a baby in rabbits to have a snuggly rabbit. I've gotten adults that weren't handled much at all from farm type settings, and they tamed down to be rabbits that came when called, snuggled on the couch, loved being held and brushed, walked well on a halter, etc. Our lab also has New Zealands, and even though they don't get held other than to draw blood and change cages, they are adopted out after their time in the lab is done, and several have gone to pet homes where they have tamed down well. Alternatively, a baby that had to be bottle fed from the same line is a little biting terror! I think a lot of it has to do with the way they are handled, though genetics is also huge. I think chosing a breed known for being docile isn't a bad way for a first time owner to go if getting a baby, or adopting or buying an adult with a known temperament from someone reliable who won't lie to you about the rabbit's personality.
smile.png

I would definitely recommend that you look at manuals online or talk to breeders Country Heart, to find out how to properly pick up a rabbit where they are comfortable and secure. Many people struggle with that, and get kicked and bit by panicky rabbits, which definitely doesn't help with bonding on either side!

A local breeder via the ARBA website is the way I would go. Or go to a local rabbit show to meet local breeders and see their stock, many also have rabbits for sale at the show
big_smile.png
Good Luck!

Um...wha? I don't know how that happened, but my above post was supposed to post to your other thread about what age to buy rabbits at. My posting skills get awesome when I'm tired. XD

I third that an ARBA breeder is the way to go. We breed for health first. I have never seen a snuffles free bunny at a pet shop
hide.gif
A reputable breeder will also give you advice for life. I always suggest bucks as pets I have never had a doe that was anywhere as friendly as my bucks. A rabbit show would be a great place to look. You can talk to different breeders, see tons of buns of all different breeds for sale, handle them, and as mentioned before learn how to properly handle a rabbit. That will make all the difference! Good luck and keep us posted!

Quote:
Please see my post "suprise suprise needing guidence" because i'm not a reputable breeder, i was mislead to believe i purchased 2 does and SUPRISE! I personally like muts in ANY species.

Back
Top Bottom