What is the best way to socialize my chickens with humans?

KaraColburn

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2022
Hi there!

I'm pretty new the the chicken life. I just got my my first egg layers last week, (two, nine week old Oliver Eggers and four, thirteen week old Barred Rocks). I bought them coop ready from a great breeder locally.

I really want them to be friendly and social with me and other humans. I know that not all chickens like to be held, but I'd like to see if I can get some of them comfortable with being held, or at least okay with being petted. (pet?, petted? is petted even a word? lol) Does anyone have any tips for trying to get them the most comfortable around humans?

So far every time I go out to their coop, I talk to them, shake a can of cracked corn, and give them a little bit. Today I sat in their run with them for a bit and tried to be still and calm so they get used to me being there. I tried to hand feed them some cracked corn for a treat but they are still too skittish for that. I think they are getting a little more comfortable, as it's only been about 5 days that I've had them. I just want to make sure I am doing all the right things from the beginning to get the results I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Just drag out a lawn chair and sit around them, bring a book and some skeeter spray. They'll wander around you. They're at that age that they're very hyper and jumpy, they'll settle down.as they get older.
Perfect! Ill definitely try that. They are VERY jumpy lol good to know its just a phase! thanks!

Yes, just sit around and offer some goodies, or call them when scattering yummy stuff. Not too much! Treats, in small amounts, not every day. Over time (not a week!) they will get comfortable with you being there, and come when called. As lap pets, maybe not, but that's okay. You might get one to be that tame (brave), or not.
Speckled Sussex have been very social, btw.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom