What is the ideal humidity for hatching in an incubator?

what sort of incubator have you ?
and what is the outside humidity like out side the incubator in the room its in ?

have they are if you want to look
take care
pinkaboo

Hi its a P and N incubator

It has a fan and a small hole about 3 mm diameter and similar hole for the probe

My humidity inside is showing at 61% I've not added any water
I don't know what the garage humidity is( cold damp so prob high)
I guess if it came into the house I could regulate the humidity and get it lower
Be put might struggle to regulated the temperature which is sitting nicely at 37.5

hi I would try to get the humidity down

do you have to open the incubator to turn the eggs ? or is it an auto turner
does it drop when you open the door ?

only if its a auto turner you could open the door only a min at a time
the incubator should sort out the temperature the is no reason why it should not hold temperature in the house
i would try that

maybe you could put the incubator in a big cardboard box to stop the room humidity getting to the incubator

hope this helps a bit

let me know how you get on
Liam

hi  I would try to get the humidity down

do you have to open the incubator to turn the eggs ? or is it an auto turner
does it drop when you open the door ? 

only if its a auto turner  you could open the door only a min at a time 
the incubator should sort out the temperature  the is no reason why it should not hold temperature in the house
i would try that

maybe you could put the incubator in a big cardboard box to stop the room humidity getting to the incubator

hope this helps a bit

let me know how you get on
Liam

Hi its a manual incubator
Its only the temp that drops when I open it to turn the eggs , and that goes back up fairy quickly
The humidity has been between 51-59 today and its been really hot
I think it will have to come into the house, somewhere the cats won't sit on it!
Thanks again

hi low 50s% is better then 60% I would try and take it indoors ( or you could drown the chicks inside)
some where near the dogs bowl maybe so the cat will not sit on it lol

best of luck
its been raining up here on the Romney marsh

please let me know how its going

Liam

Hi Liam
Awful weather today in north cornwall
And humidity went up to 70 so I've moved them into my art studio that
Is quickly becoming a chicken breeding studio!
Its down to 65 already
Hopefully it will be more stable too
Fingers crossed, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy this incubation bit
Especially if I lose any at hatching!

wont hurt to add water when you turn your eggs make sure water is around 90 degrees and it makes no difference when you add it at turning time or quickly when last few days of hatching

I have the Dasp 48 Egg Incubator;
The temperature stays at 99.5 and I keep the humidity at about 50-53% for 18 days, then i keep the humidity for the last 3 days at about 60-65%, I keep it about there until all the chicks have hatched.
Oh and a tip for those people who just started hatching or just researching, the humidity will go up a few % cause of there body temperature...
But if you don't have the humidity up high enough! Your going to have problems, I had some chicks get stuck in the egg and it's the hardest decision ever, (I think) should I help the baby or leave it there and let nature do it's stuff???

Let's say your going through same thing with your chicks, first get the humidity up higher so it doesn't happen to the rest of them, then look at the chick is it dyed up looking and does it look like it stuck? If you said yes, then slowly peal away some of the shel and a little bit of the membrane, if it bleeds a lot then stop, and maybe try again later, if not then try to peal away a bit more and let the baby try to get out as you help it (don't pull him out, let him wiggle a bit) then after it looks like he can get out better on his own, put him back in the incubator and check on him every once in a while.

Hope this helps :)

Well, I am just finishing up my own first hatch. I kept the humidity around 45-50% on days 1-18. It dropped a few times, but we tried to check it several times per day so it didn't get too low. After day 18, I kept it between 70-80% because that is what I had read in an incubating guide. Honestly, it usually stayed between 70-75% because I was afraid of getting it TOO high. Out of the 11 eggs that I still had in the incubator, it appears that 9 will hatch. Not too bad for my first try. I will crack open the last 2 if they don't hatch to see if I can guess what happened to them.

I did take out 6 others during the 1st couple of weeks that weren't fertile. My husband's friend free ranges his chickens and that's who we got those eggs from, so I guess the hens are too fast for the rooster some days. /img/smilies/smile.png
09 was some time ago...do you recall if the 9 you expected to hatch, actually did?

I have the incubator , I and i want to use it as a rotating hatching,(putting eggs in different days/different batches I am asking the humidity level which will be optimal for all days, it is set at 60% for all 21 hatching days.

Back
Top Bottom