what is the largest breed of chicken?

woweee 3 ft. tall! now that is just what hubby is looking for. he wants 1 or 2 of the largest chicken there are for a pet. LOL

My Shamo cock, as requested. This is the latest and not the best photo of him. He's 28 inches tall and the weight, I haven't weighed him in a long time. . .

6075542648_307c727e03_z.jpg

He represents a good idea of Oriental Gamefowl. Not always at or above 30 inches but still pretty big and very well muscled. Also, Oriental Gamefowl (Asil, Thai, Malay, Shamo, etc) have "hard feathering" so it's pressed firmly against the body, thus, they only APPEAR skinny, but in fact are more muscled and filled out than your average bird.
smile.png

Rodriguezpoultry has a very good photo of one of her blue Langshan cocks that represent their awesome size.

OOH, he's a beauty. I hatched out some Thai gamefowl eggs from e-bay. Can't wait to see how they fill out. At 3 months the stags are very compact, heavy birds. I feel I may be looking for homes for them as they mature.... Where in PA are you? I always wonder if I put them on a leash, and walked them like dogs.....! What kind of looks would I get? Roberta

Quote:
No, Asil has a standard wheight of 5.5lbs. for a stag. Its the Shamo that are very large.

Yeah, I was thinking - Asil are actually the smallest of them.

Asil is a VERY BROAD term. The APA recognized asil is the small reza type. However, many, many other types, variations exist. There are very large asil out there. Huge, in fact-google Kulang Asil, or even Madras Asil. On another note, although Malay are so often said to be so huge, the males are standardized at 9 lbs. A good Langshan will be taller, and a good Jersey giant will be heavier than a Malay.

Back
Top Bottom