What is the nastiest thing you have fed to your flock?

Quote:
you should win something.
sickbyc.gif

Chicken.Lytle -thanks for starting this.can't wait to see what people will admit to.
pop.gif

i guess mine was the frozen pinkie mice.the chickens would grab them,slam them on the ground and swallow them hole.unless of course another chicken grabbed the same one and ripped them apart .

BTW-the frozen mice were for my snakes.

Last edited:
Quote:
Slaughtered in front of their eyes?

NOT nice.

JJ

Not sure whether it makes a difference or not whether they see one of the others get slaughtered. When I slaughter, I try not to let the others see, but as my birds free range, you can't always avoid a few of them seeing the deed get done. I've also noticed that they only tend to show some reaction when I catch one for slaughtering, and then once I have a hold of the bird, they all carry one as if nothing has happened, and I've never had any actually come to look at the actual killing. In fact, they show no interest at all. When my FIL slaughters, he never bothers with a killing cone or anything like that. He simply picks up the bird, kind of holds it between he knees, and then cuts the throat right there on the spot where he caught it. I suppose he's just old school, but again, it doesn't seem to bother the other birds at all.

TC

Well, I didn't actually feed it to them, but they had a grand time picking thru the emptied stomach contents of the two steers that we butcherd this year--they went thru all the other nasty bits and pieces that were left after the slaughter truck pulled out of the field too.

Quote:
Mine either...I was afraid they would panic and stampede or something, but they only paid attention when we tossed them "treats". My cute little birdies!
ep.gif

Caught a mouse in a trap in my garage one night, saw it the next morning running out to the car, promised myself I'd take care of it when I got home. Drove in the garage, left the door open, went upstairs to grab my egg basket, came back downstairs and my dead rotting mouse was gone and there were about 10 chickens in the garage. The trap was picked clean but a bit bloody. It was apparently very tasty.

Inadvertent feeding, but feeding nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom