What is the norm ratio

fisher101

Songster
6 Years
Jan 25, 2014
I am going to get some hatching eggs for quail and wanted to see what ratio males to females you get when they hatch any input would be very help full

In theory you should get 50/50 split.... I have heard many theories over the years. Some say high bator/incubation temp make heavy female , low makes male or vise versa....Some say sex of the egg is predetermined and stress on the eggs like shipping or temp tend to kill the hen eggs first leading to higher roo hatches... I have found every one to be straight horse feathers. In the end you will average 50/50, swinging randomly either way only small amounts a rule..... If a hatch could be influenced one way or another the practice would common place. Meat producers would want a males who grew larger and breeders would want mostly hens for reproductive purposes.....

A interesting read but my personal experiance has not made me a believer....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/a-drop-in-temperature-can-change-the-sex-of-chickens-1238516.html

Thanks and is there any other things to tell how a hen and Roos look in quail

Thanks and is there any other things to tell how a hen and Roos look in quail

Once they become breeding age, hold the bird upside down to expose the vent area.... fold the tail feathers out of the way and gently blow on the birds vent. If the bird's face turns red it is a hen. If it smiles at you and winks, its a male...... Soft Barry White music helps im told.....
love.gif

No really how do you tell is there certain color feathers or and other way to tell

Last edited:
Yea that's why it's cat food right no I live on a farm and just want to start to raise some quail. And can you put coturnix togather like different breeds of coturnix jw

Yes, You can keep any color coturnix together. They will produce viable eggs. They will be "splits/mutts". The offspring color will depend on the combination of colors and the dominate gene in the mix... I tend to lean toward stock that breed true. But experimenting a littlebit helps you grow as a breeder. No matter how it comes out, the experience is always well worth the trouble. You may end up with something great. I'v seen pix of unique birds that were amazing I should have saved. Good luck, Bill

Back
Top Bottom