What is the oldest chicks you can put with a broody to adopt?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
A friend of mine ordered some chicks for me with her order, but unfortunately I wont be able to pick them up til this friday and they will be 10 days old I have never given one of my chickens baby chicks to adopt so don't know how this will work, She is a Silkie and a very experienced Momma, if she won't except them I will have to brood them in the house but would prefer that My broody do it, but scared that she won't except chicks that old and since I plan on giving them to her at night after everyone goes to roost its gonna be kinda hard to watch her with them and make sure she doesn't hurt them there are (5) of them. So, I was wondering if anybody has given chicks this old to a broody and how did it go?? Thanks for your experience and advice in advance. Sandy

Is your hen currently setting on eggs? If she's not, she won't accept the chicks at all. I've never tried it myself with chicks that old. What Fire Tigeris said makes sense about the chicks not staying with her. They'll be used to being by themselves by then. I think it would be best and safest for your chicks not to even try it. Is there any way you can build a temporary brooder in your coop, garage or shed for them so they don't have to be in the house? What are you planning to do with them once they're feathered out? I think they'd still need to be kept away from the adults for awhile, until they're bigger.

Yes she is currently sitting on eggs, infact I have 6 total sitting on nests but she is the only experienced one, the others are all first timers. but have all been sitting a couple of weeks each In Diamonds case (experienced Momma) shes been sitting for 5 week just waiting for babies,.

Eventually they will go in with my SS hens, or atleast the 2 best ones (all Roo babies). If it was a bit warmer I would try and build a brooder in the coop but I don't have Electricy out there. But I can set them up in the mud room (If it came to that) until they're feathered out anyway then I wouldn't feel so bad about putting them in the coop in a make shift brooder.

Is your hen currently setting on eggs? If she's not, she won't accept the chicks at all. I've never tried it myself with chicks that old. What Fire Tigeris said makes sense about the chicks not staying with her. They'll be used to being by themselves by then. I think it would be best and safest for your chicks not to even try it. Is there any way you can build a temporary brooder in your coop, garage or shed for them so they don't have to be in the house? What are you planning to do with them once they're feathered out? I think they'd still need to be kept away from the adults for awhile, until they're bigger.

Back
Top Bottom