What is the Personality of the Sicilian Buttercup?

Cowdoggin

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
About 2wks ago I received my Buff Laced and White Polish pullet chicks from McMuarruy Hatchery..(either the Polish are Not Hardy Chicks or McMurrary's arent) and along w that batch They sent me a "Free Rare Breed Chick". (and It IS Most likely a Cockerel). Thought at 1st I was possible Wyandotte, but as I know most Wyandotte, and I couldnt find a match. I began to have doughts. SO Yesterday I posted Here on the "Rare Chicken Breed Facebook" site.. After going through All the Suggestions/ideas, We came Up w the Buttercup as Its breed.

That personality..so far.. is different then everything I have read on the internet. Every thing said they were Flighty. "Buttercup" is VERY Calm and very easy to handle. Does Not mind being held at All. So before I make the Investment, I would Love to know more..Even though I REALLY hate the Look of the Comb. But IF I got passed the look of the Muscovy..Which I LOVE.. then I guess I can get passed the Ugly Comb of Buttercup.. Just want backyard Pets, and will be raising Other breeds, so not really worried about egg production. Which I have Read is about 2 a wk.

Now I just have wait a see for sure Thats is a Cockerel. in 2 to 4wks..YAA

Attachments

• 20180619_171105.jpg
    20180619_171105.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 50
  • 20180618_173527.jpg
    20180618_173527.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180618_141430.jpg
    20180618_141430.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 27
I’ve raised Buttercups before and my rooster was very tame and friendly while husband ladies were very flighty birds that really went crazy if you would even go near them although they did lay pretty well about 4 a week per hen and I doubt they’d be the ones to go broody

Sorry This is so Long..

Thank you Wee Timmy kinda was hoping for a pullet. But at the same time didnt care, cause I serously thinking of getting more. Now I know what I need to Order. Buttercup is the sweetest little chick I have so far.. even better then the Polish chicks the same age..(2wks old) they are kinda flighty. Was going to breed Buff Laced and White. Not so sure Now.. Dont know it is the Breed itself or Hatchery Stock, but I lost several chicks.. just Died.. 1 min running Fine, the min.. or next day.. dead. I have one little chick that as of right is running around ok, but not entirely sure its going make it..

2nd Ordered
>10 White, got 9.. lost 2
>10 Buff Laced. got 11.. Lost 3..

1st order .. (4mths old now)
>6 Buff Laced lost 1
> 6 White had 7 lost 1
>6 G.L got 7 lost 2 (one came in really weak anyway)..
** out of 8 cockerels Most ARE flighty

So dont thing I'll breed these, However everyone is waning Polish..

ModernGamer.. thanks for you input.. Good to know your experience w the Buttercup Breed. Not looking for broody hens.. Again received "Buttercup" in a shipment is Polish pullets.. and have decided to "possible" give the breed a try as she/he is Very Calm and Friendly.

I had a Buff Orpington Hen, VERY Anti Social..and a B.O. Rooster that could have possibly be a Top showing Bird, But he would go after my 15yr old Daughter (at that time).. Plus every B.O Rooster (around 5/6) after that had an Attitude Issues.. Ordered Pure Dutch Barnevelder hatching eggs. Ended up w 11 Roosters, 3 pullets. Rooster Fought almost constenly.. Had x-breeds roosters & cockerels and Pure breed.. Plymouth Rocks, a Delaware, a Welsummer roosters & Cockerels ALL at the same time, my guess was close to 50 of vering ages. The dang Barnevelder was the ONLY roosters that caused any trouble. AND the 3 hen were very flighty.

I have learned over the yrs, that Not all comform to "Breed Standard".. "Hunting Dog does always Hunt and a Herding Dog does always Herd".

Back
Top Bottom