What is the rarest wild animal you have been lucky to see in your lifetime:

Feathers of Eden

Songster
Feb 8, 2021
Ontario,Canada
This list excludes any wild animal you have seen in Zoos or Safaris.

My list of rare animal encounters and their background story.

Persian Leopard:
Iranian Leopard.jpg

Twenty years ago in Northern part of Iran after a failed attempt trying to hunt a wild Ram by riffle on a mountain ridge we followed our foot steps in deep snow back to camp only to realized we were under sharp eyes of a huge leopard who was shadowing us and laying on deep snow watching us from just 40 yards and we watch him run over the ridge when we spotted him.

Pallas Cat:
Pallas Cat.jpg

Driving my car along the border of a sandy dun in central Iran I stopped the car to pee close to the only visible bush insight. Behind that bush was a Pallas Cat scaping the burning sun in the only shade available in miles. We stared at each other for a minute . I did not even know there were Pallas cat still surviving in Iran at the time.

Sand Cat:
Sand Cat.jpg

Patrolling huge army Barack midnight in Sothern part of Iran in a car with light in hands I spotted a sand cat for a few seconds and then it was gone.

Great Bustard :
Great Bustard.jpg

Trying to hunt chukar partridge in central Iran a flock of Great Bustard suddenly flew and for a few seconds I witnessed the beauty of one of the heaviest flying bird in the world .

What is your lucky encounters of your lifetime?

They say there are more mountain lions in this area. But I have seen two..
I hiked from Mexico to Canada on Pacific Crest Trail hoping to see a mountain lion but I did not. In southern California many of the hikers who were hiking during nights to escape scorching sun and heat saw may mountain lions and a few bobcats.

here in Ontario Canada Bobcat's are gaining some grounds but mountain lions sightings are still far and few between.

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/pileated-woodpecker

Woody Woodpecker. They're rare where we live (to see one anyway). We have either pileated that are mates or 1 or offspring (it's hard to tell) that visits our oak hammock occasionally during the year over a period of a decade. They're such a neat bird to watch fly, super fast zipping from tree to tree. But they can be a little aggravating if you have a deadlimb above your bedroom and they come to make a meal out of it, and bits of dead wood keep ping panging off your tin roof (while your trying to get those last minutes of shuteye😂) I know the roosters freak when they zoom by.

Last edited:
Ehm, let's see...I've seen peregrine falcons often, a ring tailed (miners) cat, a pyrrhuloxia bird, a mexican spotted owl (I think), and what I believe was a mexican wolf when I was driving home through the mountains at night, though it's more likely it was coyote with a different regions coloring.

Ehm, let's see...I've seen peregrine falcons often, a ring tailed (miners) cat, a pyrrhuloxia bird, a mexican spotted owl (I think), and what I believe was a mexican wolf when I was driving home through the mountains at night, though it's more likely it was coyote with a different regions coloring.
Fun fact: Ring tailed cat is state mammal of Arizona.

The coolest thing I have seen was a wolf. My husband and I had eloped in rocky mountain national Park. The next day we went back to where we were married at and there was wolf there. Only saw it for a few moments before it took off. Still wish I could have gotten a picture.

Back
Top Bottom