What is this bulge? / Not Laying Eggs

ChickenAJ

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Missouri, USA, Earth
Meet Cammi, a sassy 1 yr old Cream Legbar chicken.

3A7F8EEE-C4B1-476F-B236-EBC35BCF1A6D.jpeg

She and her other cream legbar have always had a hefty sack back there, so i never thought anything of it. (The other cream legbar died though because of egg peritonitis.)

Over the last couple weeks or so, i have noticed we dont have her blue eggs and she is the only blue egger that isnt molting. (I excused the others who are molting.) Also, her comb seemed a little grayer.

We gave her about four epsom salt baths but still no egg. We dont feel one either if we stick out finger 2 inches in.

When we massage the sack down there, i started to feel something small and hard. Its redder than usual, as you can see below.

28248738-7C44-4ED0-9BB3-7620E4250381.jpeg

Whats going on? Do we know what this bulge is or why she isnt laying her beautiful blue eggs?

It could be a sign of internally laid egg masses, ascites fluid, cancer, or fatty liver disease. Those are all common in hens. You may not know for sure without vet care, further evaluation, or if she dies, a necropsy at home or by the state vet. I have had a few hens with an enlarged lower belly. Some lived a couple of years with it. What do her poops look like, and can you post any pictures? Are the normally white urates yellow? Is her crop emptying by early morning?

Back
Top Bottom