What is this chicken thinking?

What is this chicken thinking?

Escape route #27 mapped out.

Hey everyone I apologize this isn't a funny post but I've posted this on a broody thread and I've received ZERO replies. I'm hoping someone will help:
Help please. I have a broody GLW and I want to give her 2 new chicks tonight. I'm going to shut the rest of my hens out of the coop just for tonight so the mama hen can bond with the new chicks alone. But what about after that? Will she protect them from the other hens at night after that? Will she lead them into the coop at night to sleep? I've never done this before and I need advice. Do I HAVE to keep them separated? I don't have much more room. All I know is to sneak in at night and replace her eggs with the chicks. After that I'm clueless. (There's no rooster) help please?

New chicks! How fun, good luck with them, hens and chicks are so fun to watch!
What are you doing for food and water supply for the chicks if they are in the main coop with the adult birds? ... are you putting the whole flock on chick starter? and using smaller waterers? is your fencing tight enough for chicks?
How long has she been broody? She has never raised chicks before? Most hens will take to new chicks OK if you slip them under her at night like you suggest, but do be prepared for problems (especially if she has not been broody that long) she could either decide she doesn't like the chicks, or decide not to move off the nest.
Can she and the chicks get back in the nest she is brooding in? Most hens like to do that, otherwise she will just pick a spot on the floor or even someplace outside, she won't necessarily go back in the coop like she should, especially if she is a lower ranking hen... some not so smart hens will also go back to the nest and just leave the chicks on the floor if the chicks can't reach the nest, so do check to see what she is doing at night.
With the mother protecting them, it is more the chicks have to know to stay with the mother ... if there is a problem, she will usually go after other birds if they come too close or the chicks scream, but if she gets upset she is just as likely to run over the chicks or if she is a lower ranking hen she will leave... most also don't count real well and leave one chick that wanders off or is in trouble if they still have other chicks...
I like to keep the hen and chicks separated for a week or two if possible in their own pen inside the coop... it gives you enough time to know the the chicks are doing OK, healthy and eating and drinking etc (especially if they have been shipped), also they are more mobile and aren't as delicate at a week so if something does go wrong, another hen picks on them etc they have a better chance of not being hurt.

Hey everyone I apologize this isn't a funny post but I've posted this on a broody thread and I've received ZERO replies. I'm hoping someone will help:
Help please. I have a broody GLW and I want to give her 2 new chicks tonight. I'm going to shut the rest of my hens out of the coop just for tonight so the mama hen can bond with the new chicks alone. But what about after that? Will she protect them from the other hens at night after that? Will she lead them into the coop at night to sleep? I've never done this before and I need advice. Do I HAVE to keep them separated? I don't have much more room. All I know is to sneak in at night and replace her eggs with the chicks. After that I'm clueless. (There's no rooster) help please?

Your hen should look after the chicks like they are her own. I would keep them separate from the flock and when they are old enough that the mom doesn't want them anymore then put them all with the flock with places for the chicks to hide.
I had two broody hens once and I was taking care of a baby robin. When I put the Robin near one she would puff up and treat it like her own chick, she even sat on it in the nest but Robin would get too hot. Her and the other broody would fight over Robin because they both wanted to be the mom.

Back
Top Bottom